Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4l60e behind 6.0, how to make it survive?

4l60e behind 6.0, how to make it survive?

Recently built a lq4 with 243 heads, sloppy stage 2 cam. long tube headers (1 7/8 to 3") and ll 3"' duals out the back. block up is gen4 5.3L parts, i changed reluctor ring and cam gear to be used in the 08 silverado. the 08 has 160k on it. trans shifts and performs great , but i need it to last a while untill i can afford a lvl4 or built trans to handle the 6l. i left all the factory tqmgmnt on but used bluecat tool to adjust tables. i know i have to be easy with the skinny peddle obviously. i also have a 40k cooler im about to put in , just got truck going a few days ago. i dont need a straight pooch but as good as i can get to try and make this trans last.

I already changed the tables with bluecat , will those be fine ? Does the tourque management overide that stuff or is it unrelated to the longevity of the trans ( meaning the bluecat stuff)?

my setup is quite different than your screen shot...am i in the right p[lace to adjust chnges?

Tables just have different axis values because they are from different years/platforms, they work the same. Bluecat is only for the shift points.

Fun tip: See the label in the title bar of each table? [TCM] 15180? Hit CTRL+N and type in that number, it'll show you where the table is located.

nice to know keyboard short cuts...quicker than just looking everywhere! i think i did someting wrong here

Set up the 1-2 row first.

Click in the 92.2 cell, type in a 5 (you can click the cells and type in numbers directly, do not need to use the clumsy input box at the top).

Click and drag to highlight all the cells starting from 309.8 and all the cells to the right, type in 90 and hit the TAB key - this should populate the '90' into all cells that are highlighted.

Click the 92.2/5 cell and drag over to 309.8/90 to highlight. Click the 'interpolate between horizontal bounds' toolbar button.

Now do the other rows.

In the 1-2 row you just did, click and drag to highlight everything from 92.2/5 over to the very end, right click, 'copy'.

In the 2-3 row, click & highlight everything from 110.6 all the way to the end, right click 'paste'.

In the 3-4 row, click and highlight everything from 129.1 all the way to the end, right click 'paste'.

Now do the other tables.

Copy the entire Pattern X table you just did - click the blank rectangle at the upper left to highlight all the cells, then right click 'copy'.

Open the Pattern Y table, click at upper left to highlight entire table, right click 'paste'.

Do the same to the Pattern Z table.

screenshot.04-01-2022 19.01.00.png

This is just where I would start out, not saying it's set in stone and you'll never have to tweak it from here. Also not saying there aren't other ways to do it - some people use a single value in every cell top to bottom and don't bother with this kind of fiddly stuff.

Thanks man for explaining it so completely, just wasn't jiving bc the tables weren't the same and wasn't sure I had stuff in right place. Also didn't know you could directly type in the cells, was using the B's deal up top and I have big fingers and a small keyboard on my surface pro so it's a helluva task that way. I will update tables and save them to a different tune file and post what I did for approval before iflash it. Again I really appreciate the time and help.
    What is safe operating temp of a 4l60e? Mines been around 150* but I really don't drive far but last few days I haven't had a thermostat in the truck, didn't have one and no one had one in stock. Just got one today so I'll see what temps r like

RPM kills 4L60 by centrifugally applying the clutches. Keep the shift point under 5500 it will help. But the sloppy stage 2 cam is going to want to pull higher.

Yeah that's what I've read, they can take sum power just not the rpms. Supposed to be good up to 6k, but hell 500rpm isn't going to be that noticable and if it prolonged the life it's worth it. I'm not racing this thing, just a mean sounding DD with respectable power.

It's the reverse drum directly behind the front pump that can't take high RPM in first gear. The tangs/lugs/fingers/whatever you want to call them on the backside fling outward and cut into the ID of the case. It's made worse by the fact the band applies around the OD of that drum and squeezes it in, which helps force the lugs outward. Absolute worst is a high RPM 1-2 shift that puts lots of heat into the drum, then a stop, and another high RPM 1-2 while the drum is still smoking hot from the last time.

IMO Use as much torque management as you can stand to keep stress off the transmission internals and reduce wear and tear.

Even if a trans is fully built 'built' it will last longer

Guess I'll have to do rolling 40s instead of dead stop take offs lol. Hopefully the 40k cooler keeps the temps down and my brain can control my right foot. Luckily the snow on the ground provides little to no grip so less stress on trans for a few months.

The trans will not make much more heat than stock as long as it still has the stock converter, regardless of power level.

What is stock "acceptable" heat range ?

under 200? with some Dex 6. But to put in context, you should be able to run 70? over ambient without concern.

Nice , so far only seen 150* . Next question, is there too low of a temp that will harm a trans? Once I put the cooler on it may be a few cooler. When fluid is cold it's thicker , is there any adverse effects of a thicker fluid, ur not being able to flow as well or not getting to all the lube points?

Reason I'm asking is it's -20* ( not wind chill, just temp, wind chill gets -40*) sometimes here, floats close to 0 most of the winter tho. My truck does stay in garage tho at nite.

In a perfect world I would want it to stay between 180 and 200. Not below and not above, though as mentioned higher doesn't start to risk hurting things until it gets way up there. Yes, too cold is just as bad. I'd rather be at 200 than 180, consistently having a stable temp below 180 would worry me and I'd do something about it, like install a thermostat-controlled bypass which is a pain in the ass but something you just have to deal with when using a too-big external cooler and no longer using the mostly excellent factory in-radiator trans cooler, which does a really good job of keeping trans temp mostly equal to coolant temp. Which is a good thing.

If you live where it gets cold you 100% need a bypass setup.