Thread: GEN II L61 Vs LSJ

GEN II L61 Vs LSJ

I have an engine swapped Triumph that currently has a second gen L61 with the E37 ECU from an '07 G5. Fun combo in a 2000# RWD car; dyno'd 145HP at the wheels.

I have acquired an LSJ from an '07 Cobalt, complete with everything except the MAF and a working intercooler pump. I do have the P12 ECU, minus the blue J1 connector.

Due to space constraints, I would like to delete the LSJ cam sensor; I believe that would require swapping to the L61 head, coils & reluctor wheel (anything else?) to run the E37 ECU. I'm not sure how the E37 would feel about the LSJ throttle, either.

My question is whether there is any benefit in keeping the P12 ECU to justify "making room" for the LSJ cam sensor, or would the E37 be better for any other reason? I do have an HPT license for the E37, so there's that...

Thanks for any thoughts!
    1972 Triumph Spitfire Ecotec Swap
    MEFI-4B & L61 - deceased; ate it's own balance shafts - because I did a dumb.
    E37 & GenII L61 - Runs great! (extracted from an '07 Pontiac Pursuit / G5)
    LSJ for the future..?

Advanced Tuner
    How do you plan on controlling boost with the E37 ECU?

Can you post your current E37 calibration?

I have a maxed out turbo LSJ calibration I did that I can compare to, just to make sure there are not MAF or injector limits in the E37.

Hi cadillactech - calibration attached

Plenty of superchargers out there without boost control beyond the bypass valve; a good example might be the R53 MINIs. Tuned properly I shouldn't need to worry much about it... if the E37 can handle the tune? I honestly don't know if it can properly read the 2.5 bar MAP...

spitfire activecare ryno r002.hpt
    LSJ for the future..?

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like injectors and MAF limits are the same so the E37 should handle the tune. Where is the cam sensor on the L61 you have?

MAP sensor should be easy to find out, just install the new 2.5BAR MAP in your current engine and change the MAP sensor settings in the E37 and see if its happy and reads correctly. I don't see why it wouldn't but never know until you try.

Just asked the boost control questions in case you hadn't thought about it, since those superchargers have a bypass valve that is actuated by a solenoid in stock form. P12 obviously has the ability to control that vs the E37. Other ways to control it though.

The cam sensor is on the intake cam, about 3" back and inline with the #4 injector, just above the EGR port. The back of the head has no bosses for the power steering pump or cam sensor, so it frees up a lot of space back there.

I'm no HPtuners expert; I'm versed enough to turn off VATS, disable some of the warnings and the like - so I'll have to learn about the map sensor settings. I leave the tuning to people who have a clue. I'm just a dumb electrician. Haha.

The boost control question may be the toughest one. I haven't worked out exactly how the boost solenoid works on the bypass valve yet - it looks like the system will energize the valve to dump pressure in the event of various engine protection modes (knock/lean)? Bleeding off boost for any other reason sounds like a thing for sissies. Does the P12 limit max boost? I don't recall seeing a table for that..

The other line on the bypass valve I think works the same as the one on my MINI; when you're off the throttle vacuum opens the valve. The spring rate in the pot has an effect, too. In MINIs they break, and you lose boost because the valve isn't held closed properly... and you have to pull the whole front end of the car off to change it. Ask me how I know.. haha. (It's really not that bad - 15 minutes and you're in).
    LSJ for the future..?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Does BC, Canada force you to run a GM OEM computer on a GM engine for a road based vehicle?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Does BC, Canada force you to run a GM OEM computer on a GM engine for a road based vehicle?
    No, we do not have the requirement; I used the E37 primarily for cost reasons.
    LSJ for the future..?

We use the the l61 a single coil head on 2.4 bottom end with the cavalier pcm. My concern would be controlling boost and a 2 bar setup on that pcm, we chose for the ability to retain cable throttle in a dirt track car and we?re not allowed to run vvt. Our current engine makes 270 at tire naturally aspirated. There is a company I. Bloomington Indiana that makes a 6+1 that bolts in place of the 60-2 reluctor wheel for such a swap. The early l61 had no cam sensor, it was integrated into the ign module mounted on the coil cover.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanN View Post
    No, we do not have the requirement; I used the E37 primarily for cost reasons.
    Well at least you got some freedoms for ecu choice.
    Curious how you'll get the E37 to run on a fixed cam motor.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Well at least you got some freedoms for ecu choice.
    Curious how you'll get the E37 to run on a fixed cam motor.
    E37 is stock on GenII L61. Mine is from a '07 Pontiac G5/Pursuit; it has no cam phasers.
    LSJ for the future..?

Bit of an update.

The LSJ cam sensor will definitely foul my firewall, but just the sensor itself. I suspect I can rotate it 90 - 180* to swing the wire connector out of the way and probably have enough room. I don't *THINK* the sensor will care; VR and hall effect sensors aren't directional so far as I'm aware.

Has anyone seen any other tricks for dealing with that wart off the back of the head? It seems pretty overkill for a cam sensor (and overkill is the best kind of kill...)

I was able to whip up a bench programmer for the P12 and read it; it looks like a legit "Stage 2" cal compared to the LSJ cal in the repository.

P12_LSJ_2022-01-10.hpt

At this point it seems to make more sense to keep the LSJ more or less as-is and swap to the P12. The LSJ head is better looking anyway, aside from the wart. I'm not really excited about swapping engine harnesses, but I'm fully capable of doing it. Again. lol.
    LSJ for the future..?