Thread: 2004 2500 Cummins, Auto, First Tow Tune Attempt Review

Potential Tuner

2004 2500 Cummins, Auto, First Tow Tune Attempt Review

Hey guys,

I got the MPVI2 for christmas (thanks honey ) and I've been playing around with the software, looking through other guys files, reading as much as i can online, reviewing the tables on the stock file and comparing what other guys are doing. I also have an older edge Juice with attitude that i logged against( which actually seemed to not log what the truck was actually doing). Finally tonight i decided to load the tune on and see how it performed. I took some logs and wanted to see what you guys thought of what is going on as well as the tune itself. I appreciate any constructive critisism or advice.

My main concerns right now with the couple logs are what feels to be almost a fuel cut when im 80-100% in the throttle. What i felt and what i log show up. NOt sure where i should adjust or what exactly is going on to prevent this. Idle, part and mid throttle seem to be smooth and much improved over stock. Just want to get this full throttle blip taken care of. stock file_edit.hptfull throttle without tow mode.hplfull throttle after tune.hpl85percent throttle after tune.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Any help from anyone? Jeagerwrenching I've read a lot of your comments. Could you lend a hand?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dzltreg View Post
    Any help from anyone? Jeagerwrenching I've read a lot of your comments. Could you lend a hand?
    Quickly looking through, torque limit needs raised, baro limit raised.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NRunkle View Post
    Quickly looking through, torque limit needs raised, baro limit raised.
    Thanks for the response. Is that why I'm seeing a fuel cut?

Flip switch 7859 and 7863, as the related tables that set what that actual fuel limit is numerically for 7863 are not defined. Therefor if you don't flip it you will hit a limit you can't change. Do as NRunkle said up torque and move the baro limits or flip the baro switch, and use your boost limiter as a final smoke limiter. I'd suggest moving all fueling limiters out of your way including boost limiting until you get the truck running and consistently producing your commanded fuel and timing amount. Then start to bring in your boost limiter until you see your desired smoke limiting results.

Potential Tuner
    I tried a few things out and made the changes you guys recommended and still seem to be having an issue with total fuel rate not going over 100mm3 at full throttle. It will get there, fall off and come back. FCA didnt drop this time like previous logs. Another thing i've noticed is the boost pressure is reading upwards of 48 psi. This seems unfathomable.

Potential Tuner
    Is there something I'm missing in the trans coding? I simply cannot go full throttle without being locked up. I have a 45 mph lockup in the truck, the guy I bought the truck from had the trans redone and the rebuilder modified it to lockup at 45. Anyways, if the torque converter isn't locked up I can't go full throttle without fuel being cut.

Once locked up it will let me go full throttle without fuel cut. What am I missing?!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dzltreg View Post
    I tried a few things out and made the changes you guys recommended and still seem to be having an issue with total fuel rate not going over 100mm3 at full throttle. It will get there, fall off and come back. FCA didnt drop this time like previous logs. Another thing i've noticed is the boost pressure is reading upwards of 48 psi. This seems unfathomable.
    Atmospheric plus manifold pressure. You need to subtract atmospheric pressure in order to get actual boost pressure

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Atmospheric plus manifold pressure. You need to subtract atmospheric pressure in order to get actual boost pressure
    I figured that's what it was.