Thread: Limiting power on company trucks??

Potential Tuner

Limiting power on company trucks??

We have a fleet of 2004-2006 Chevy trucks all DBW and all with the 6.0, our 2nd truck just got back from having the trans rebuilt. The trucks are always towing loads, or now carrying plows and v-box salters. Im looking for a way to limit the throttle or torque in them, so they can't push them so hard when there loaded down. Does anyone got an easy route for this? Throttle opening %, or maybe using the torque management to do this?
    Speed isnt really a concern, the theory from the trans shop is the crews are just flooring the trucks fully loaded, which has already cost 2 trans rebuilds, and numerous overheating issues. hoping if i can limit the power they have at there foot maybe the trucks would be a little happier

It can be done and help with the tuning aspect if needed.

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

Engine>Airflow>Electronic Throttle>Max Rotation>vs Speed & vs Pedal. Set it to what you want.

Potential Tuner
    I will give that a try, thanks

I think what you need is transmissions built to handle the loads you are asking them to carry instead of the electronic equivalent of taping a block of wood to the backside of the gas pedal.

Agree with blindsquirrel. First and foremost cure the overheat condition at whatever cost or cooling needed. The best rebuild in the world aint' worth a dam if the temp is bad.

Tuner in Training
    Just went through this with one of my brothers trucks and I work with transmissions on the side. the GMT800 leaves a lot to be desired for transmission cooling. upgrade to a tru-cool trans cooler and an inline filter and you'll fix 90% of the problems. the 4L80 can handle the 6.0 pretty well if you keep it cool.

Even if you limit the throttle some, the people driving them will still abuse it. The weight and the constant drive to reverse motion is what wears the transmission out. For sure if they don't wait for it to go into gear and just slam down on the gas while it's still making it's way into drive or reverse.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Engine>Airflow>Electronic Throttle>Max Rotation>vs Speed & vs Pedal. Set it to what you want.
    You can brick a P59 changing those tables to settings that are not compatible with the TAC module.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    You can brick a P59 changing those tables to settings that are not compatible with the TAC module.
    Yikes I have done it 3 or 4 times. Looks like I got lucky but I only mod'd by 20% or so. I experiment alot with the P59's ever since I learned how to un-brick them.