Thread: 2009 G8 6.0 (L76) Swap start issue

Potential Tuner

2009 G8 6.0 (L76) Swap start issue

I am having an issue starting the 2009 Pontiac G8 LS Swap. The engine will turnover, but will not start. I have 12v on each fuel injector and ignition coil, as well as the external fuel pump, in the on and key on position. I have wrote entire, using the detailed instructions from the HP tune 101 help. I changed the crank sensor. I have an American autowire vehicle harness and PSI engine harness. I checked all fuses and they are good. I have the PSI harness and the cab grounded to the back of the head. Frame and cab has a ground strap connection. The battery is grounded to the front of the head. I updated the VCM Editor (beta) to the latest version also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ctrob007; 01-06-2022 at 02:26 PM.

Check for spark? Try starting fluid?

With scan tool connected do you get a cranking rpm signal?

Potential Tuner
    With a little bit of starting fluid, it fired for a second

If it's a no-start because of lack of fuel, it should run as long as you keep spraying it, and run well enough that I have driven cars with dead fuel pumps into the shop from the back lot on nothing but toots from a can of brake cleaner through a long hose up to the TB inlet.

Check fuel pressure

Potential Tuner
    Okay. I’m about to go to the parts store and get a fuel pressure tester and scanner.

You already have a scanner, it's in the HP Tuners software. It should have created an icon on your desktop when you installed it.

Potential Tuner
    The VCM scanner was not reading anything when I was turning the key. I did replace the crank sensor behind the starter and the cam position sensor.

Wouldn't it be a bummer if you replaced a good working sensor with a new junk one that doesn't work, by throwing parts at it at random? That'll be fun to figure out later.

Never create more unknowns for yourself when you already don't know why it doesn't work.

Potential Tuner
    Lol. It does make sense. I checked the fuel pressure with the kit and it reads above 60 psi. VCM scanner shows fuel pressure at 58 psi and I also noticed no RPM still. Crank request said “no” and starter relay said “off” ?

In a swap without all the other modules the factory used in the original vehicle you should have the starter fault checks disabled, so those channels should read no/off. This is an engine FROM a G8, with an aftermarket harness, installed in some other vehicle, right? And not a 'swap' in the sense you put a different engine IN a G8?

OS tab: Starter Fault Checks: set to DISABLED, then write entire (not write calibration)
    System tab: Starter Diag: set to DISABLE
    set DTCs to No Error Reported:
    P0513
    P0615
    P0633
    P1631
    P3400-3457 - the DOD codes
    U0121
    and maybe others.

Other codes, I don't know what all hardware you are using and have connected, like brake switches and fuel level sensor. If something is no longer there and you don't want the ECM to keep looking for it, codes must be set to No Error Reported. No MIL Light means it will still run the associated diagnostics.

Vats disabled?

Looking at the tune file can only tell you if VATS was disabled before the last save in the Editor, it can't tell you the VATS state as it exists in the ECM unless a new read was performed after the write, and that new file compared to the one that was written.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your patience. Just got home from work and about to get started on this again. I’m about to change these things to no error reported. I disabled the VATS. I will read the ECU to ensure the VATS are actually turned off.

Potential Tuner
    Success!!!! We have a running engine! Thanks to everyone. Special thanks to blindsquirrel!!!!