Thread: Traction control CAN messages?

Potential Tuner

Traction control CAN messages?

Hi everyone,
    I know it's a hard one but maybe someone knows...
    I'm really interested in making some sort of torque limiting device on demand and I need to know specific CAN message to send torque limit value to the ECM for it to react. Maybe, just maybe someone knows?
    It's E82 ECM.
    Thanks 👍

Advanced Tuner
    You don't say if this is in-vehicle application, or stand alone, but I'll enumerate the challenges you'll face besides just sending the message:

If it's in-vehicle, you'll need to build a CAN bridge device to not only isolate, but also intercept the message from the ECU that broadcasts it (EBCM would probably be the most appropriate since it originates TCS related torque reduction requests), synchronize it with the rolling counters, put the proper check bytes in it, and retransmit it on the CAN bus the ECM is on.

If it's a stand-alone, and the module in question doesn't exist at all, you'll have to create a device the simulate the proper operation of the missing ECU, including all the messages coming out it and transmit on the CAN bus the ECM is on. This again includes proper rolling counters and proper check bytes.

Frankly, if you're asking what messages need to be sent, you probably don't have the rest of the information you need to properly transmit them, either.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for reply, tunerpro.
    It is standalone swap. Yes you're right, I don't have the information, but really want to educate myself about it.
    I can make a CAN device that could send anything it needs on the network, I just don't know anything about how GM designed their system.
    Is there any documents that I could read?
    Many thanks