Thread: Updating software

Tuner

Updating software

Ive had my tune the way I want it for over a year now and have not been updating to latest stable updates. Do I need to do the updates? I only tune my car.

My opinion says no, I've haven't updated mine in over a year either and I have no problems doing what I need to do.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    My opinion says no, I've haven't updated mine in over a year either and I have no problems doing what I need to do.
    Thanks, kind of figure so as I believe updates are just for new models/years. Making sure if I want to tweak something that I dont run into issue?Cheers Rob

Senior Tuner
    On rare occasions an update may have an extra table or 2 if another user out there requested it. That said, I wouldn't update if you are happy. The new update removed alot of important tables. You can install 2 versions side by side to see if you have new tables.
    In program files find the hp tuners folder that has the editor and scanner .exe in it and rename it to something like vcm_pre epa. Your shortcuts in the start menu etc will break but you can fix that easy. Then install the new version to look at it.

In more recent versions the new install completely, silently, replaces the old version, even if you try to trick it and rename the old folder beforehand or specify the new install to a different folder. At least it did the last time I tried it. It'll allow a stable version and a beta to exist at the same time, but no longer can you have two different release versions at the same time.

Put this in the same category of 'improvements' with things like 'X Days Ago' instead of actual date/time.

Perfect time for VMware.

Tuner
    Thanks for all the replies. Rob

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    In more recent versions the new install completely, silently, replaces the old version, even if you try to trick it and rename the old folder beforehand or specify the new install to a different folder. At least it did the last time I tried it. It'll allow a stable version and a beta to exist at the same time, but no longer can you have two different release versions at the same time.

Put this in the same category of 'improvements' with things like 'X Days Ago' instead of actual date/time.
    Not finding that with my versions (yet)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    …The new update removed alot of important tables….
    What tables were removed?
    Last edited by NotSure; 01-30-2022 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling…

Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    What tables were removed?
    For instance, the GPF and EGR. Plus others, but you won't find them mentioned explicitely (at least I couldn't), because it seems that mentioning them isn't allowed on the forum. Such posts get promptly deleted.