Thread: Wideband

Tuner in Training

Wideband

Adding a wideband for hptuners to pick up and I only have a mpvi2, so from what I read I need the data link cable? And to use that I have to purchase the pro set for $250?
    I have a aem 03-300 and I?m new to hptuners and widebands. I have it running on my car but obvisouly hptuners isn?t going to pick it up running off ground/power. Lol. I honestly thought it would be as easy as adding it into hptuners as a new channel. Ha

So is the above mentioned the only way to log a wideband on a 2008 or older vehicle? Thanks for any help

When you say "my car," can you tell us what you're working with or is it a sekrit?

Tuner in Training
    Lol. Sorry. It’s a 99 30th trans am. My buddy sent me a link where It says to use the serial to usb connector. Just have to run 2 usb outlets off the computer when I want to log wideband in hptuners. It was a post here on the forums.

Tuner in Training
    If you have an older vehicle you can either purchase a serial to USB connector and add a channel to your scanner, goat rope garage on you tube has a good example, alternative is to wire through egr circuit on some ecu, through some details up of your car so experienced people can give the easiest way for your particular application

EGR position, if not being used

A/C pressure sensor (sensor, not switch) input, if being used you can disconnect the sensor temporarily while tuning and not use the A/C

Fuel tank pressure sensor, if EVAP stuff is not used

You CANNOT use any of the original O2 sensor signal returns, as the PCM is only able to read around 1.2v max on those pins and the WB requires 0-5v. Pretty common that someone thinks 'hey I'm not using those downstream O2s anymore, I'll just hook the wideband into one of those!' Um, nope.

Serial is OK but has piss-poor sample rate. The analog is much faster. Use the serial only if there is no other way around it.

Tuner in Training
    I tried cheeping out by not getting the "pro" version when I started out. Tried EGR couldn't get it working right, and then serial that sometimes worked well then sometime it wouldn't. Ended up biting the bullet and upgrading to pro and everything works like a charm and adds several good features.