Thread: Tuning 2008 Tahoe for new headers and intake

Potential Tuner

Tuning 2008 Tahoe for new headers and intake

I had the motor in my Tahoe rebuilt w/DOD delete and a BTR stage 2 truck cam. It was tuned after that but I added 1 7/8 headers and a cold air intake and would like to clean up the tune. I've watched various videos on youtube and I'm familiar with tuning carburetors, but never messed with this before. I installed a wideband o2 sensor this morning and wondering where to start. Where do you start your tuning and when do you know you're done?

Tune and first drive are attached. Thanks for any insight you can provide. start1.9.2022.hptDrive 1 1.9.2022.hpl

I do remote tuning if interested learning too

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I do remote tuning if interested learning too
    I would not be shocked if I end up there. Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    Start by setting up your histograms in the scanner to match the areas you need to adjust in your tune, watch some vids on this. Set up wideband % error histogram. Take some timing out of the low octane table and log for knock. Then start scanning your drives.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by crew chief View Post
    Start by setting up your histograms in the scanner to match the areas you need to adjust in your tune, watch some vids on this. Set up wideband % error histogram. Take some timing out of the low octane table and log for knock. Then start scanning your drives.
    Well, I did this, watching a youtube from Goat Rope Garage and the EQ seemed to be reading well. Couple of questions:

1. I went in to disable Dynamic Airflow and it was already disabled. High RPM Disable was 100 and Re-enable was 0. Is that correct?
    2. I drove to work and then copied and pasted by half to the airflow/frequency table. Very minor differences but it seemed like it ran better (less rich) than before. Didn't make sense to me.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by KSJeff View Post
    Well, I did this, watching a youtube from Goat Rope Garage and the EQ seemed to be reading well. Couple of questions:

1. I went in to disable Dynamic Airflow and it was already disabled. High RPM Disable was 100 and Re-enable was 0. Is that correct? That's correct. That means it's disabled.
    2. I drove to work and then copied and pasted by half to the airflow/frequency table. Very minor differences but it seemed like it ran better (less rich) than before. Didn't make sense to me.
    It looks like the changes to the MAF table are pretty minor. That's what I would expect with a combo light yours.

Potential Tuner
    Been tuning my MAF table and it ends up flattening out on the high frequencies. Is this normal?

Here it is. MAFCurve-M.jpg

Senior Tuner
    That looks very close to stock.

Potential Tuner
    I'm assuming a stage 2 truck cam, headers and cold air intake isn't too far from stock except for the DOD delete. Or would you expect a BTR Stage 2 truck cam to look different than that? So, no issues with the flattening out?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by KSJeff View Post
    I'm assuming a stage 2 truck cam, headers and cold air intake isn't too far from stock except for the DOD delete. Or would you expect a BTR Stage 2 truck cam to look different than that? So, no issues with the flattening out?
    I would not expect the MAF curve to change very much from the original curve in your application.
    For reference, here's a stock 2008 Tahoe MAF curve.

HP Tuners E38 MAF Curve.png

Potential Tuner
    Thank you. I'm going to keep dialing in the MAF then I'll move on. Appreciate it.

Potential Tuner
    So, I have the MAF dialed in and getting ready to put the final tune for MAF in it before I start on speed density. For whatever reason, dynamic airflow was disabled when I started. High RPM Disable was 100 and Re-enable was 0. Should I put it back to stock or is there some reason it was left disabled after my camshaft installation and DOD delete?

Potential Tuner
    Sounds like the guy who tuned it for the DOD delete and cam install did a MAF only tune. I'd wager that your VVE tables are still stock.