Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to tune first? MAF, VVE, TIMING- Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    awesome! i think im ready to get started then! i wanted to make sure how to copy and paste because i would have definitely messed that up with the multiply percent option. once i copy and paste. how can i tell that i am going in the right direction? i pasted into the VVE table and done a rough estimation that at idle, the VVE is out around 28 percent. does this seem common?
    I am not sure about the idle issue...do you have a cam with a long duration? Lots of things can be going on here at idle...you have the base running airflow, which should handle this area in theory...not the VVE table, but you also have the MAF and then you have the Dynamic Airflow High RPM disable. Either way you'll get the hang of it as you make changes and collect logs.

Personally, I made my own spreadsheet to tackle the VVE tuning and I really focus on on the VVE zone at a time. This way after I copy/paste the histogram, either by full or half percent and then calculate the coefficients, I can see if that caused an unnatural dip or bubble that is going to mess up other areas of the zone. I also have gone through re-doing the RPM/MAP zones several times to fit what works for my combination.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah the car is cammed. i took a couple logs today and pasted into the vve table. it looks a little "peaky" but ill give it another goVVEstep1.4braf.hpt

Tuning Addict
    Just remember to keep things smooth. I just guestimated on yours based off of the transitions it was making. You can plug this in and go from there. The more driving data you collect and fill in the better the transitions will become.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    ill flash it in and log some more drive time. thanks brother

Advanced Tuner
    Andrew, how would i set up that histogram to compare VVE vs MAF?

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks squirrel. I have seen this come up before, so, i guess ill be getting a little more familiar with my scanner functions.

Advanced Tuner
    steadystatetune.hptsteadystate4.hpl

I did a few logs today and have some questions. 1.) When trying to dial in MAF; do you want to do this at lower rpm, higher rpms, or does it matter as long as you get smooth pedal transitions?

2.) Is the jerky motion at low rpms I now feel, due to not smoothing enough when tuning VVE?

3.) How do you know when you need bigger injectors? Throwing in this other log that says injector duty% is 93.1 and I didn't even run it up to 7k steadystatetune.hpl

Thanks
    Last edited by LS ROB; 02-27-2022 at 07:18 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    1.) When trying to dial in MAF; do you want to do this at lower rpm, higher rpms, or does it matter as long as you get smooth pedal transitions?

2.) Is the jerky motion at low rpms I now feel, due to not smoothing enough when tuning VVE?

3.) How do you know when you need bigger injectors? Throwing in this other log that says injector duty% is 93.1 and I didn't even run it up to 7k
    Smooth, steady state data. RPM will be whatever it needs to be to get to the various Hz ranges of the MAF.

Could be or timing or O2 swings.

Depends, but 80% on port injection is generally where you start to consider a injector change.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    Ok. So when logging VE, MAF, & DYNAMIC, should all of these read exactly the same or will they be a little different? Im not in front of my laptop right now but if I remember correctly, my MAF & DYNAMIC are close but my VE reads slightly higher. Example: MAF 93, DYNAMIC 97 & VE 112 is that normal or how close should they be?

Ok. So when logging VE, MAF, & DYNAMIC, should all of these read exactly the same or will they be a little different? Im not in front of my laptop right now but if I remember correctly, my MAF & DYNAMIC are close but my VE reads slightly higher. Example: MAF 93, DYNAMIC 97 & VE 112 is that normal or how close should they be?
    Can you post the HPT and HPL?

Advanced Tuner
    Out of town right now so no access to the laptop. I was hoping that it could be a pretty easy answer or at least get me headed in the right direction with some general information.

Here is a screen shot of mine, this is a hard/quick stab of the throttle. This is the only time in this log that these readings are not within 1-2 of each other.VE-MAF-DYN.JPG
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Here is the same log Zoomed out 30 minutes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    quick log.hpl here is a quick log i took this evening.

Advanced Tuner
    thank you. looks like i may be heading in the right direction

quick log.hpl here is a quick log i took this evening.
    Looks pretty darn good!

Advanced Tuner
    thanks. ive got a manual transmission so i was hoping to get a little less bucking around 1500rpm. id like to get it down to at least 1200rpm but i dont know if its possible with a cammed car or if im bout as good as it gets and need to move on to timing. guess ill keep at it a few more times and see what happens. should VE be grouped a little tighter with MAF & DYNAMIC?
    Last edited by LS ROB; 04-03-2022 at 07:54 PM.

I'm no expert on the "Grouping" but I believe you are pretty good. From what I understand sometimes the dynamic will bias towards MAF (more steady state) then sometimes more towards VE (Transient states)...

Looking at your log I see Timing jumping when Throttle, MAP, MAF RPM, all seem steady. I'm wondering why and if this is the bucking you are feeling.
    Attached Images Attached Images