Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford 6.2 Swap and tuning

Tuner in Training
    Has anyone adjusted their spark tables on these motors? I've gone through posted tunes and it seems like no one touches the spark tables. Reading through the coyote cookbook (the only resource I could find that was somewhat relevant) They throw quite a bit of timing at the coyote, in the ballpark of +5 to +12 degrees depending on the portion of the table. With this being a lower compression motor I would imagine that it could handle a bit more timing could it not?

Advanced Tuner
    Log what spark is doing while driving. Even on premium, at altitude the f150/raptor versions will pull timing for knock. Switching to E85 will get you the ability to add timing, but whether the timing makes power or not is a different question.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone have any good resources for tuning these motors? Ive started with the coyote cookbook but would like some more information about tuning a SOHC engine.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Log what spark is doing while driving. Even on premium, at altitude the f150/raptor versions will pull timing for knock. Switching to E85 will get you the ability to add timing, but whether the timing makes power or not is a different question.
    Fair enough. All I can run in my area is 91 octane. I do also have long tube headers which I've heard can allow a little more ignition timing due to the exhaust scavenging and pulling heat out of the cylinders.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Foster View Post
    Fair enough. All I can run in my area is 91 octane. I do also have long tube headers which I've heard can allow a little more ignition timing due to the exhaust scavenging and pulling heat out of the cylinders.
    Like I said, log it and see if it is pulling spark and under what conditions. My raptor had retard even at cruise before, the only way I could get it to run the full ford engineer programmed timing was by running E85 on it. I also only have 91 available here.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Foster View Post
    Has anyone adjusted their spark tables on these motors? I've gone through posted tunes and it seems like no one touches the spark tables. Reading through the coyote cookbook (the only resource I could find that was somewhat relevant) They throw quite a bit of timing at the coyote, in the ballpark of +5 to +12 degrees depending on the portion of the table. With this being a lower compression motor I would imagine that it could handle a bit more timing could it not?
    I could be wrong, but I thought the spark would scale between Borderline (Borderline Knock Spark) and MBT based on knock. Notice the absence of High and Low octane spark tables like on GM tunes. Wouldn't want to adjust the spark floor up for safety.

Borderline Corrections - Octane Adjustment determines scaling based on Knock Octane Modifier. Modifier can be logged as a channel.

In the Spark Retard tab there's a Max Advance table. That's the max above Borderline in absence of knock.

In reality you shouldn't need to touch any of this. That's why you don't see spark adjustments on most tunes.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 08-30-2023 at 03:21 PM.