Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford 6.2 Swap and tuning

Tuner in Training

Ford 6.2 Swap and tuning

Hello all.

I am rather new to hp tuners so please forgive me if some of my questions are a bit elementary.

I have got a 1967 M100 that I have swapped onto a 2011 F250 chassis, it has a 6.2L gas engine from the 2011 and a ZF6 manual transmission from a 2006 F350 with the 6.8L v10. Currently the truck is using a OEM PCM and wiring but I have stripped it down to be a stand alone wiring harness. The BCM, security, emissions, and the automatic wiring have all been removed. I ran the truck for 2 years on the stock 2011 PCM but had some issues with my front O2 sensors, and the manual transmission on a automatic computer. I have now got my hands on a PCM that Eric Brooks turned off the PATS and flashed a manual transmission operating system onto. I have started and drove the truck on the new PCM but it is in need of some tuning. The only engine mods done so far is a 4" intake tube and long tube headers as well as I have switched from a mechanical fan to a electric fan.

Currently I have thrown together a little bit of a base tune to turn off all the DTC's, update the MAF curve by about 37% for the larger intake. But that is where my knowledge ends. My current issue is when I'm driving everything seems to be good but once I loose my short term fuel trim reading the truck seems to loose all its power, kind of like a limp mode. I believe it is when it switches from closed loop to open loop (I may have these backwards). I have attached several of my tunes, data logs, and text files starting from stock and progressing to where I am now. If anyone would be able to help me out or point me in a direction of some literature or videos it would be much appreciated. I have gone down the road of getting someone else to tune the truck but I don't believe they really know what they were doing when it came to tuning a ford. That is why I am trying to learn to tune my self. I built the rest of the truck so why not tune it as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You're not logging everything necessary. Save this in My Documnets > HPTuners > VCM Scanner > Channels and load it up in your channels for your next log.

S197.Channels.xml

Here's your file with some minor changes.

EDIT--MT REV 1.2 ADDED AN EXTRA 1.05 TO MAF CURVE.hpt

Potential Tuner
    I couldn?t figure out how to private message you so I?m just gonna ask here. What did you have to do to get a zf6 behind your 6.2? Did it bolt right up? And what zf6 did you use?

Advanced Tuner
    ZF6 from a 5.4l or 6.8l (v10) will work, same bell pattern.

Potential Tuner
    Just direct bolt up? No modification to engine or transmission required?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, modular bell pattern fits any modular series engine. Make sure you get the correct flywheel for your bolt spacing and balance needs. It will be either 6 or 8 bolt. Probably the flywheel from the same vehicle as the transmission will work, just verify the balance against your flexplate.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, I am not on here to often. Yes the ZF6 bolted up perfectly. I used everything from the 6.8 and have had zero issues. The 6.2. starter even meshes properly with the 6.8 flywheel.

Senior Tuner

6.2 Raptor Tune - modified

I've had success tuning a 2011 Ford Raptor. My tune is attached for you to try.

It's setup for an automatic, so use the Engine and Engine Diag portions of the tune. It would be best to manually copy and paste the items flagged by compare (PAY ATTENTION TO X AND Y AXIS!) instead of attempting a segment swap. I've changed quite a bit to make this work correctly. If you see something you think is minor, such as the difference in stoichiometric AFR - set by Ford to 14.08 for ethanol content, then change that later. Do all changes for now.

I took the time to enable Optimum Power mode by doing the math to fill in the VE tables, cam angles, etc. Ford disabled it then left just enough to piece it together. PE mode has been activated. Throttle settings are for more response and proper angle. Torque management/limiters, driver demand/VCT characteristic maps modified. Other fine-tuning. Tables calculated out to 6500 rpm with fuel cutoff at 6250. Valve springs are a known weak link on the 6.2, and you'll probably break one if you go much above this.

- Knock thresholds are reduced 20% from factory as a personal preference for extra safety if 87 octane is used. 93 octane is only worth 10hp in these motors anyway. The spark hasn't been changed, however, because the knock learner automatically trims the borderline spark tables. Bump up knock slowly as you fine tune with the S197 scanner settings.
    - Don't change throttle angle max. It's set by Ford to work with the throttle body control module. Not even Roush tunes change this. Leave it. I know it's counter-intuitive to not be 90 yet still see 90 for the throttle elsewhere. Just leave it alone. Don't forget to use the scanner to do a throttle body cal after flashing.
    - Downstream O2's are disabled similar to your tune. Idk if you're aware, but these use wideband O2's for the upstream. The narrowband downstream O2's are disabled in this, therefore, so is biasing (FAOSC). Make sure you're running OE spec Bosch's for your widebands and that they are in roughly the same location as factory. Might want to get new ones at some point since you don't know how far out of calibration they are.

Try this tune with your manual trans settings. It really wakes the 6.2 up. Better power and throttle response. A bonus is 2mpg extra, at least in the Raptor. The idle sounds meaner, too. You'll see the reasons for all this in the scanner when you drive. Notice the optimum power blending and no torque limiters being active. This is the way the 6.2 Boss was meant to be.

Then make small changes, such as your MAF, and scan. As far as that goes are you sure about 37%? That's quite a jump. Remember that you can't just multiply the number based on the cross-sectional area difference. To do it right start with factory then proceed as with the link instructions. It's quite handy having those factory widebands.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...old-air-intake

--- Don't forget to do a write calibration, not a write entire, when programming.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 09-26-2022 at 07:02 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by alehandro View Post
    Thank you for your response. it will work for me
    You're welcome. Post your impressions of the tune when you run it, please.

Senior Tuner
    The key to any good tune is reliable power. To demonstrate this, I've attached a demo of a test run with the tune I posted.

Please keep in mind that Ford set the speed limiter because of tire ratings at the time. The owner has since installed Z-rated tires, so the limiter is raised in the tune. Stay safe, people.

Senior Tuner
    A member with a good eye noticed a flaw in this tune. I'll give him a chance to explain here so he can get acknowledgement and +rep.

He PM'd me his thoughts out of politeness. It might sting the pride, but I agree with his observations. I'd like to share the process publicly so we can all benefit from the learning experience.

In the meantime, I'll keep working on the problem. The more eyes on this the better, so if anyone else has thoughts please feel free to post.

- Thank you
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 10-28-2022 at 11:56 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Well, never mind. The concern was that Equivalence Ratio Commanded was 1.22, while WB EQ Ratio was 0.82. The thinking was that the ecu was calling for an unsafe lean condition, but only the COT protection was correcting the lambda value.

Equivalence Ratio Commanded is configured as the inverse of AFR lambda. Technically, its FAR. 1/1.22 = .82. This tracks across the run.

The knock at the end of the full throttle run is because the knock sensors are set for increased sensitivity by 20%.

Potential Tuner
    So theoretically a manual strategy can be programmed to a 6.2 Raptor PCM and work well with the BCM ect.? Back in 2014 we tried to bypass the issues with the auto strategy and it was a headache, project is getting pulled out again and want to finish, rather than putting a auto back in.

Tuner in Training
    Can you share that file to me please I would like to see how well it works on my 2017 6.2

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    I've had success tuning a 2011 Ford Raptor. My tune is attached for you to try.

It's setup for an automatic, so use the Engine and Engine Diag portions of the tune. It would be best to manually copy and paste the items flagged by compare (PAY ATTENTION TO X AND Y AXIS!) instead of attempting a segment swap. I've changed quite a bit to make this work correctly. If you see something you think is minor, such as the difference in stoichiometric AFR - set by Ford to 14.08 for ethanol content, then change that later. Do all changes for now.

I took the time to enable Optimum Power mode by doing the math to fill in the VE tables, cam angles, etc. Ford disabled it then left just enough to piece it together. PE mode has been activated. Throttle settings are for more response and proper angle. Torque management/limiters, driver demand/VCT characteristic maps modified. Other fine-tuning. Tables calculated out to 6500 rpm with fuel cutoff at 6250. Valve springs are a known weak link on the 6.2, and you'll probably break one if you go much above this.

- Knock thresholds are reduced 20% from factory as a personal preference for extra safety if 87 octane is used. 93 octane is only worth 10hp in these motors anyway. The spark hasn't been changed, however, because the knock learner automatically trims the borderline spark tables. Bump up knock slowly as you fine tune with the S197 scanner settings.
    - Don't change throttle angle max. It's set by Ford to work with the throttle body control module. Not even Roush tunes change this. Leave it. I know it's counter-intuitive to not be 90 yet still see 90 for the throttle elsewhere. Just leave it alone. Don't forget to use the scanner to do a throttle body cal after flashing.
    - Downstream O2's are disabled similar to your tune. Idk if you're aware, but these use wideband O2's for the upstream. The narrowband downstream O2's are disabled in this, therefore, so is biasing (FAOSC). Make sure you're running OE spec Bosch's for your widebands and that they are in roughly the same location as factory. Might want to get new ones at some point since you don't know how far out of calibration they are.

Try this tune with your manual trans settings. It really wakes the 6.2 up. Better power and throttle response. A bonus is 2mpg extra, at least in the Raptor. The idle sounds meaner, too. You'll see the reasons for all this in the scanner when you drive. Notice the optimum power blending and no torque limiters being active. This is the way the 6.2 Boss was meant to be.

Then make small changes, such as your MAF, and scan. As far as that goes are you sure about 37%? That's quite a jump. Remember that you can't just multiply the number based on the cross-sectional area difference. To do it right start with factory then proceed as with the link instructions. It's quite handy having those factory widebands.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...old-air-intake

--- Don't forget to do a write calibration, not a write entire, when programming.
    i think i might be borrowing some of this tune to try on my f250 6.2.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    i think i might be borrowing some of this tune to try on my f250 6.2.
    Here's an improved version. Tested safe with 87 octane.

- FAOSC (rear O2 trim) re-enabled
    - factory knock settings
    - minor tweaks to OP cam angles, ignition timing, and airflow tables
    - driver demand
    - throttle
    - shift properties
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-18-2023 at 01:55 AM.

Tuner in Training

- factory knock settings
    - driver demand
    - throttle
    - shift properties
    thanks. there is some tweaking for mine since i have the livernois heads and cams and long tubes. i also only ever run 93 octane. trying to get more power out of this setup since livernois was not willing to do remote tuning on the truck. just want to make the most of the upgrades and make up for the heavier larger tires.
    Last edited by akley88; 05-18-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Potential Tuner

- factory knock settings
    - driver demand
    - throttle
    - shift properties

SiriusC1024 Mind if i try this on my 2013 Raptor? I'm not willing to pay for another handheld tuner when i have HPTuners for my other rides.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredfuego9 View Post
    SiriusC1024 Mind if i try this on my 2013 Raptor? I'm not willing to pay for another handheld tuner when i have HPTuners for my other rides.
    Of course I don't mind. That's why I posted it.

Potential Tuner
    I have it loaded up and works awesome! I love how the truck drives now. Avg'd 14.3 on a 200 mile round trip.