Thread: Fuel trims issues with big cam

Potential Tuner

Fuel trims issues with big cam

I installed a stage 3 cam in my 06 Silverado with a 4.8 in it. I watched ?reckless motor sports? on YouTube to get my base idle tune. Truck cranks and idles ok but fuel trims will go all the way positive so I?ll add 5% to the main ve table, then the trims go all the way negative so I?ll add 5% to the base airflow, and no change at all. I?ve played with air flow and ve table for two hours and I cannot get the trims to stay steady around 0 no matter how small the change. I?m extremely new to all this and this is the first truck I?ve ever tuned so please be patient with me.

Disable long term trims with a large camshaft, it will make things easier.

Get a wideband o2 sensor for tuning because you are going to need it. Then start tuning the MAF and VE because getting to involved with idle airflow/timing settings. If fueling is off then everything else will be a struggle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Get the fuel trims correct before chasing down idle, the VE is the airflow calculation and the idle control is airflow based, if the VE is wrong then the idle airflow is wrong, changes to the VE impact the idle, not just the mixture but the way the ecu corrects for airflow errors. First get good fuel trims. Without the tune its hard to know, there are idle airflow limits as well.