Thread: tuning a L31 5.7 vortec.

Potential Tuner

tuning a L31 5.7 vortec.

hello I am new to HP tuners but very comfortable with mechanical and electrical. have been a drivability/transmission tech for GM for 30 years. I know this may be and old Question, but I am building an engine for my 1998 chevrolet 2500 L31 and will need to tune it. was told by our local dyno tune guy that the PCM (black box) is not tuner friendly. have watched many tuning videos to learn the HP tuner and MAF,VE tuning. none of the stuff I could find was based on my platform. what are the things I need to Know to tune it. will I need to change to the 411 PCM. I have learned so much from this forum but need some more specific tuning information. any help would be appreciated. the engine im building is to tow my trailer and will not see 5500rpm. going to run TPI with 30lb Bosch injectors, AFR 195 heads and a GM 383 camshaft if it helps. thankyou for you time.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm View Post
    hello I am new to HP tuners but very comfortable with mechanical and electrical. have been a drivability/transmission tech for GM for 30 years. I know this may be and old Question, but I am building an engine for my 1998 chevrolet 2500 L31 and will need to tune it. was told by our local dyno tune guy that the PCM (black box) is not tuner friendly. have watched many tuning videos to learn the HP tuner and MAF,VE tuning. none of the stuff I could find was based on my platform. what are the things I need to Know to tune it. will I need to change to the 411 PCM. I have learned so much from this forum but need some more specific tuning information. any help would be appreciated. the engine im building is to tow my trailer and will not see 5500rpm. going to run TPI with 30lb Bosch injectors, AFR 195 heads and a GM 383 camshaft if it helps. thankyou for you time.
    I've tuned quite a few of those. That combo shouldn't be very difficult to tune. It's pretty much the same steps as the 411.

Potential Tuner
    I’m working on a 1998 k1500 5.7 with flat top Mahle pistons,206/210 @ .050 cam mildly ported vortec head, long tube headers ,2 1/2 true duals with x pipe no cats. I’m new to tuning also but most problems have been that this is an old truck and getting all the sensors working . As far as tune it started and drove fine on stock. I’ve upped the idle speed to 700 , and added 2 degrees timing to the complete base table. The timing ran a little better and increased mpg by .8. When I was fixing sensors the IAC was leaking all the time. After fixing this the mpg decreased by approximately .75 . I’m think it is a little rich and studying how to take some fuel out of it.Was wondering how your tune was working.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcj2006 View Post
    I’m working on a 1998 k1500 5.7 with flat top Mahle pistons,206/210 @ .050 cam mildly ported vortec head, long tube headers ,2 1/2 true duals with x pipe no cats. I’m new to tuning also but most problems have been that this is an old truck and getting all the sensors working . As far as tune it started and drove fine on stock. I’ve upped the idle speed to 700 , and added 2 degrees timing to the complete base table. The timing ran a little better and increased mpg by .8. When I was fixing sensors the IAC was leaking all the time. After fixing this the mpg decreased by approximately .75 . I’m think it is a little rich and studying how to take some fuel out of it.Was wondering how your tune was working.
    i got a faily nice tune for the l31 with your combo ofc it is going to be off but i have a good base and well ofc a data log and some refinement will make it a custom tune you can pm me for more details
    1996 5.7 vortec k1500 (4x4) 411 pcm swap ,lt4/lt1 hot cam ,1.6 rockers, mpfi upgrade, cai, long tube headers ,true dual exhaust getting ready for the turbo
    lmk if you need help with your 96-99 vortec just text my number
    email :[email protected]
    (956)784-1824