Thread: Knock sensor tuning

Tuner in Training

Knock sensor tuning

I'm trying to to tune my car, I'm still getting the speed density tune touched up but i keep picking up knock on the knock sensor. I've tried desensitizing the knock sensors but i still get knock... I can't add any timing into the car until I get rid of the knock. The car shouldn't be to the point of having to run e85, and I've already pulled 5 degrees out when I first started tuning. I've attached logs to this post. ***I'm learning from GRG** Any tips are welcome.KAYNE2010CTSV- step9.8Knocksensorsensitivity.hptstep9.7knocksensitivity.hpl

Fueling is a complete basket case right now.

I don't know why this tune has the injector flow rate cut in half and the stoich doubled. Running 1050's is only around 100lb/hr and even at 58psi of fuel pressure it's still under the 127lb/hr injector limit this computer can handle.

Also the PE table goes leaner as the RPM rise, that is the opposite of how it really should be. That just shows how far off the fueling is, if you have to use the PE to remove fuel then it's being tuned wrong.

Commanded stoich is also set to 1.04 at operating temp in open loop, that is not right. Needs to be 1.00 for open loop tuning with your wideband.

Fix the injector data and start over with the VVE and MAF tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I fixed what you said to, any tips on the knock sensors? I don?t think I should be to the point of having to run e85

Advanced Tuner
    If you've fixed up your tune and you're still seeing lots of knock, you need to determine whether there's some sort of noise present that's causing the knock sensors to report knock. Does the car have loud exhaust? I've seen lots of 4 cylinder cars where the owner straight piped the entire exhaust system only to find their exhaust mods where setting off the knock sensors...

Tuner in Training
    Stock exhaust, could I add some octane booster abs see if it stops?

Advanced Tuner
    What modifications have been done to the engine?

Another log of this knock after your most recent calibration update would help as well.

Injector data updated and completely retuned in less than 24 hours... pretty impressive!

Tuner in Training
    Not completely retuned, just settings updated and small adjustments associated with it. Way to encourage someone trying to learn a new skill!

Tuner in Training
    Ported blower, ported snout, 2.38? pulley, 103mm throttle body, id1050x injectors, and a 4.5? new era intake.

Tuner in Training
    9.8.hpl
    Log with stock stoich, id1050x flowvspressure, stock knock sensor sensitivity, and stock PE.

Tuning Addict
    Stupid question, but was the isolator ever upgraded? AND your still running stock exhaust and cats with quite a bit more air going in. Try running the booster. Without a cam or free'er flowing exhaust it may be picking up what's actually there. These engines like the exhaust to be free'er flowing via cam, heads or just headers.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    I plan on doing headers end of February. I?ll try the booster

Tuner in Training
    The supercharger was replaced at 118k, car has 121k now, isolator was replaced with a solid isolator

Quote Originally Posted by 1badcaddi View Post
    9.8.hpl
    Log with stock stoich, id1050x flowvspressure, stock knock sensor sensitivity, and stock PE.
    The level of knock in this log is not abnormal, it may be false knock (I would suggest knock ears), it has not degraded the knock factor. The fuel trims need work, problematically you are approaching the Min PW for the injector as well. If you have the correct data but have modified the intake tract (airbox/MAF) then your MAF curve may need adjusting. I have not use the New Era MAF pipe but it is likely the cause, if the MAF location and size is stock you may have an injector data issue. Make sure you have filled in all the injector data correctly 1st. You need to fix it in the tune where you modified it mechanically not elsewhere or you make the problems worse.