Thread: OL Faults Can someone take deep look into this tune

Tuner in Training

OL Faults Can someone take deep look into this tune

Hi all. How about some fun holiday morning coffee chat...

I am at my wits end trying to figure out why i have a "OL fault" on both. I am open to any suggestions but i have tried just about everything I can find and that has been suggested already. its a 5.3 swap. I am getting the OL Fault the entire time and i am getting no reading whatsoever from he LT or ST fuel trims.

I even found a video from HP Tuners where this is common to the 38 and 40 computers circa 2004-2006 which i think I have. Mine is from a 2006 tahoe donor. They suggest changing the misfire tables to max values. I did that with this attached tune and it didn't change anything. I have changed it back in this attachment.

MAF is brand new
    MAP is brand new
    O2 sensors are brand new (just one set)
    ...every sensor is brand new

I am looking for suggestions from anyone at this point.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That file says it's from a 2001 Tahoe.

Post a log file.

Tuner in Training
    20220117.hpl
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    That file says it's from a 2001 Tahoe.

Post a log file.
    Good Catch. Yes, the motor, trans, and original ECM was 2006. I had forgotten that i ended up using a diff ecm.

Here is a quick log file i just took.

thanks

Fix your P0200.

Why is P0103 set to No Error?

Post a log with both O2 sensors unplugged. One is stuck low (lean) other is stuck high.

The P0200 being set prevents almost all the O2 codes from running. Whatever is causing that is keeping you from getting info about what it thinks is wrong elsewhere.

Tuner in Training
    Fix your P0200.

Why is P0103 set to No Error?

Post a log with both O2 sensors unplugged. One is stuck low (lean) other is stuck high.
    I cannot answer the "why" questions on either. But, I enabled both the P0103 and P0200 etc and to MIL on second. The cleared DTCs and unplugged both O2 sensors.

Here is the resulting log file.

20220117 (o2 sensors unplugged).hpl

It's good that the O2 voltages go to the default bias voltage of ~450mV. Now you need to verify the right wires at the sensors are going to the right pins at the PCM, and that in between none of them are shorted to ground or to voltage.

The P0200 was set as a current DTC in the previous log. Meaning there is a fault in the injector wiring somewhere. When that DTC is current, none of the O2 DTCs can run. If there is a short to voltage on the injector low side control ckt, that would explain why one bank is so rich and why it's stuck in open loop. The cause of the P0200 must be found, and fixed. Whatever is causing it is not something in the tune file.

This is from the P0131/151 diag page, just one of the O2 codes picked at random. They all have this same list of conditions before they will run. If there is a fault that would normally set one of the many O2 codes, they will not set, because one of these other codes is active (your P0200).
    Conditions for Running the DTC
    ? DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0200, P0300, P0401, P0404, P0405, P0410, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P1120, P1125, P1220, P1221, P1258, P1404, P1415, P1416, P1514, P1515, P1516, P1517, or P1518 are not set
    ? The air fuel ratio is between 14.5:1 and 14.7:1.
    ? Vehicles without throttle-actuated control (TAC), the throttle position (TP) is between 3-70 percent.
    ? Vehicles with throttle-actuated control (TAC), the throttle position (TP) indicated angle is between 3-70 percent more than the value observed at idle.
    (and etc.).

Also keep in mind the P0200 is a MIL on Second Error code, so it will not show up on the first run cycle after a flash. That does NOT mean the fault is no longer there.

Tuner in Training
    Also keep in mind the P0200 is a MIL on Second Error code, so it will not show up on the first run cycle after a flash. That does NOT mean the fault is no longer there.
    Thanks for the time squirrel. Let me dig into all of this over the next little while and see what i can find.

Curious, how are you running a p59 harness on a p01 PCM?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnraines View Post
    Curious, how are you running a p59 harness on a p01 PCM?
    Not real sure what you mean. All of this is fairly new to me. I have a PCM, i bought a harness that matched the PCM and off i went. Besides this issues, no problems. Not sure if your question is the source of the problem or not.??? If you mean the red/blue harness. Recall earlier in the thread that I changed the ECM from the 2006 donor motor.
    Last edited by teckersley; 01-18-2022 at 06:01 AM.

Tuner in Training
    A huge personal thank you to @blindsquirrel. Following your info here, I was able to trace the problem to the harness side #3 injector pin. it wasn't pushed far enough into the plug to make connection with the ECM. Took off the blue shield, push it forward, heard it click into place and violla, no more P0200.

Thanks again
    Last edited by teckersley; 01-18-2022 at 10:39 AM.

Cool. Was the P0200 the only thing keeping in OL Fault? The service manual doesn't give that kind of detail as you'd typically notice it because the CEL was on, not because of the OL/CL status. (if you don't have a CEL wired in, get one - things like this will be easier to solve in the future)

Keep in mind if you had done any tweaks to MAF or VE while that injector was out it'll have to be redone, as it now has one more injector than before.

Tuner in Training
    Cool. Was the P0200 the only thing keeping in OL Fault? The service manual doesn't give that kind of detail as you'd typically notice it because the CEL was on, not because of the OL/CL status. (if you don't have a CEL wired in, get one - things like this will be easier to solve in the future)

Keep in mind if you had done any tweaks to MAF or VE while that injector was out it'll have to be redone, as it now has one more injector than before.
    Once I cleared that up everything worked normal. Fuel went back to normal mode and O2 sensors and ltft/stft reporting data.

Thanks again.