Thread: 6L80 amount of normal slip when shifting

Tuner in Training

6L80 amount of normal slip when shifting

How much "Trans Slip" is normal when shifting, I have a recent rebuild on a transmission and it has good crisp shifts, but when reviewing the data log I am seeing the Trans Slip category around 1400rpm just prior to a shift being executing. Wanting to make sure it is shifting right but don't have a solid comparison. anyone able to offer confirmation this isn't too much or not enough? some previous log files I looked back at from before rebuild had about 900-1000 but they were under less load so not a great comparison.

Vehicle
    525hp
    6L90 with kryptonite clutches, minor pressure increases, oncomming/offgoing pressure adjustments
    3400 stall converter.

Attached log file full throttle pull.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Not to bad. Shift pressure could come up some more, maybe 20% in the high load column. Will need an adapt reset / preset. Your torque converter is worrying me though. You are commanding it locked but is slipping all the way through the pull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the quick breakdown that is very helpful. I will bump up the pressures a little more. Looking at the difference between TCCslip and TCC you are noting the lines don't follow one another as far as the converter doing what it is told or are you referring to the spike just after the shift indicating the converter not holding? I assume that is a internals issue rather than a tune adjustment?

Senior Tuner
    Referring to the constant large slip whilst you are applying pressure to the TCC clutch. It comes down to how the converter is built. If triple disc and has OEM type frictions designed to slip, that will probably be ok for a little while, but it is very hard on it, it'll be getting hot. I would try and get it to 0. For comparison here is my 6L90 with OEM 6 bolt converter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the comparison. I notice your pressure for TCC is higher and more stable than mine, will that also have an impact on the slip?

Senior Tuner
    Yes, you want to give it as much as possible to keep it locked it up.

Senior Tuner
    But first you need to find out if your converter is designed for WOT lock up.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the info, you have been very helpful!