Thread: 2007 Sport Trac 4.6 3V supported?

Tuner in Training

2007 Sport Trac 4.6 3V supported?

Hi all, I'm interested in getting HPT for my 2007 sport trac so I can swap to the mustang intake manifold

I can't tell if its properly supported as the list states the Explorer for my year and the sport trac 4.0 but want to be sure before buying.

The Sample Mustang file with the vcm suite seems to have everything needed.

Does anyone have a stock tune file for a v8 sport trac/explorer?

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    I don't believe so, I was going to use this on my 07 4.6 ST as well and it didn't work.

Tuner in Training
    So, decided to buy an MPVI+ anyway since I figure it'll come in handy for the Camaro too.

The sport trac actually is supported, here is the stock file from the ecm if anyone is interested.

It's curious that there is a knock retard section but number of knock sensors set to 0. Is there another way of detecting knock?

If it wasn't snowing out I'd go check in the engine for them, I hadn't really considered of the possibility of Ford not putting knock sensors in a vehicle from 2007.
    Any thoughts?

I didn't pull the TCM but i thought it was strange it detected the TCM a 6R80 when this year should have been a 6R60
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Go into VCM scanner and poll for parameters, see if knock sensor voltage comes up. The 3v Mustangs have them.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Go into VCM scanner and poll for parameters, see if knock sensor voltage comes up. The 3v Mustangs have them.
    thanks, checked and there's no knock voltage but there is a misfire count and misfire flag.

Did a brief log but no misfires detected, I'm not sure what this parameter is
    Could this be based on crank sensor?

Advanced Tuner
    Knock and miss-fire aren't related. Sounds like the sensors just didn't exist in that vehicle. What are you trying to accomplish with the tune?

Tuner in Training
    Knock and miss-fire aren't related. Sounds like the sensors just didn't exist in that vehicle. What are you trying to accomplish with the tune?
    No specific goal at this point but would like to get some extra power if it can be acquired reliably

I picked up a used mustang intake manifold with the dual throttle body and bigger plenum.. the mustang dynos about 40 hp higher stock vs stock..

Since I don't have knock sensors I'm thinking maybe I'll just get that manifold on and run stock mustang tune settings

Advanced Tuner
    Do the mustangs use the same cam profile?

Tuner in Training
    Do the mustangs use the same cam profile?
    Thats a question i'm still looking to answer.

The part number is the same but in the Tune the vct tables are not available in the sport trac file.
    Under the Fuel/general section the sport trac tune lists a different reference angle for intake valve open than the mustang so im assuming the vct tables are quite a bit different.

I need to learn how to get the vct tables added to the sport trac read file

Tuner in Training
    I've got an 08 Explorer 4.6. I've played with the tune a lot, especially the TM and trans. Got it to shift pretty well now and better throttle response. Our early 6Rs are missing a low sprag I believe that tuning really can't do anything about if you've got the starting in 2nd unless you sit still for a moment problem. I made it better though with the tune. The Mustang 4.6 is identical to ours in mechanical specs. The mustang makes more peak power with exhaust, intake and tune. I've got a tune I made for premium fuel that I can actually feel a big difference in. I didn't tune afr at all either, just timing. And yeah, there's no knock sensors. Pretty sure they can be added and turned on with HPT. I used knock headphones to tune it safely. Something I picked up from the Nissan tuning community, I've got a 500whp 07 350Z also tuned with HPT. Hit me up if you've got any tuning questions about the Explorer's though. I've done a lot of trial and error, especially with the 30 different unlabeled trans tables lol.

Tuner in Training
    Wow, sounds like you are way ahead of me.

Is your trans the 6r80 or 6r60? I was under the impression that the 07's were 6r60 and they switched later, HPT reads mine as a 6r80 interestingly though.
    I've got a similar situation to you, my '16 2ss camaro is my go fast car but i'd like to get this thing to drive a little nicer so i'm exploring my options.

I'm curious about adding a knock sensors actually, i've been searching around for a pinout for the pcm. i believe the 4.0's used the same pcms and used a single knock sensor so i'm thinking i should be able to attach at least one.

I think a premium fuel tune is the right was to get started but i'd be most comfortable with functioning knock sensors.

Tuner in Training
    I'm pretty sure it's a 6R60 06-10. I've got a fabrication and transmission shop and all the application guides that I've seen say that. From what I understand the case is the same but some changes were made inside for higher torque applications and the addition of a low sprag that takes care of some low speed clunking. As far as the knock sensors go, I compared the PCM wiring pinout to an Expedition of the same year and the wire colors and pin positions look the same. The Expedition has knock sensors 1 and 2 on pins 48 and 49. My explorer has the same connector but those two pins are blank. It might be worth trying to pin a wire and add it to the connector, it's probably got the hardware in the pcm. I can't imagine they'd make the PCM with minor differences like that, not cost effective. They most likely build them all the same and add/remove features with the software. There is a function in HPT to turn on knock sensors, it might work. I'd be curious to know if you do it! I fabbed the turbo kit on my Nissan, actually a few different configurations, I'm thinking of doing one for the Explorer. The Mustang guys seem to get about 450hp safely before the bottom end goes. I might do it for fun, it's just a spare vehicle with 335K miles so it's not worth much but it runs so damn well still. I could probably pick up some used GT500 injectors cheap and throw a good old Borg Warner S366 on it and see what happens lol. That's if I don't boost my 5.3 Suburban first! I'm just having fun with cars while we still can. Maybe I'll do the Explorer first, I've never seen a turbo on one haha

Tuner in Training
    Yes I had also found a wiring diagram online (not sure how reliable it is) for explorers and it appears the 48 & 49 pins were used for a knock sensor in the 4.0 V6 and 30&31 were used for the second knock sensor in the 5.4 but is listed as unused for the explorer...

I reached out to HPT with the question and initially they believe it will work but was sending to engineering to confirm.

Also the 4.0 explorer had a MAP sensor and they believe one can be added to the 4.6 and turned on which might be useful if you do turbo your explorer

Whenever my work eases up I think I might try activating the knock sensors in the tune and probing with a AA battery.. I believe they are 5v sensors so a AA would be in band

Tuner in Training
    Thats a good idea about the MAP, hadn't even thought about it, thx. Let me know if the knock pid reads anything when you try the battery trick, I'm really curious now.

Advanced Tuner
    usually if the vehicle didnt come factory equipped then the ecu lacks the hardware

somwetmes u get lucky with simple voltage inputs or digitial pins but most of the time no
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/