Thread: new to HP tuners, question on ZF8 speed in a 2019 Ram Power Wagon

Tuner in Training

new to HP tuners, question on ZF8 speed in a 2019 Ram Power Wagon

hello everyone,

I received my MPVI2+ and wanted to read my truck to try and identify why it holds 5th gear an insanely long amount of time. I haven't installed the smart access cable required for the 19 yet, haven't sent my PCM off to be unlocked, nor have I licensed the program. I just wanted to get familiar with it

I just did a drive and logged some parameters. Can anyone tell me what transmission mode number "normal" is?

trans-normal.png

Also curious what "sport is" when I hit tow/haul button, but i suspect it's the 59, 60, 61, 62 in the middle screen.

transtowhaul.png

back in normal mode with MDS temporary disabled by putting transmission into 8th gear max, "unknown 20" appears

trans20.png

and a screen shot of the VCM Editor with 20 and 21 pulled up

vcm 20 21.png

Sorry if these are newbie questions, I have never seen this program or what it can do until today. I wanted to ask on here first before I tempted myself in adjusting some output shaft values to get that 5th to 6th upshift happening a little sooner.

thank you,

Tuner in Training
    Not sure how much help I?ll be, but I?ll share what I?ve learned. Normal driving, mine is in 5 most of the time. Unless I?m on a steep grade. I have a 1500 with 8hp75, and mine definitely doesn?t stay in 5th gear long.
    I?ll send you my tcm file if you?d like to compare it to yours.

Tuner in Training
    That drive mode was accurate in some earlier versions of VCM Scanner. You want to log "Shift ID" now. If it does not come up you will need to contact HP and send them your tune file and they can activate the parameter for your OS. Also when your looking at shift ID you still need to cross reference it with the shift mapping

Tuner in Training
    i installed the beta VCM scanner and was able to read that I was bouncing between 5 and 10 modes. 1st to 3rd was in mode 5, then the truck would switch to mode 10 for 4th to 6th, and back to mode 5 for 7th and 8th. i am going to edit the mapping and remove the ability for the truck to use mode 10.

my question now is do i need to unlock the PCM before I write the TCM? I haven't sent in the PCM yet for unlock service but would like to clean up the transmission shifting sooner than later.

edit: and i did get my smart access cable installed already too.

thanks,

As long as your Smart cable is installed, you should be able to fuss with the Trans all you want.

"NORMAL" mode's Shift Maps are Aggression 0 and often 1
    "SPORT" modes maps are typically under Aggression 2, maps 2/7/12/22

Look under SHIFT PATTERN--MAPPING table 3000, to see if the TCM moves your TOW/HAUL maps 59-62 to some other shift map.

Tuner in Training
    thank you for the info! i suspected i could program the transmission prior to unlocking the PCM.

I did find that my normal driving around town i'm jumping between 5 and 10 on aggression mode 0. I currently don't have any complaints with the towing mode on the ram 2500 so i was going to leave that alone. but it is 59-62 on my truck.

I was going to remap 10 and 11 in the shift pattern mapping from both 10, to both 5 and force the truck to stay in that "5" mode. Though I might bump up the shift rpm 10% and see how I like it. my only complaint is how long it holds 5th gear because it jumps into "10" from "5" half way up to speed.

Screenshot 2022-02-01 115915.png

Tuner in Training
    i just ponied up and bought the credits for my transmission and oh my god i should have done this sooner.

i removed the ability for the truck to jump between 5 and 10, and told it to shift about 5% higher in the lower pedal range on mode 5 and the truck is a dream to drive around town now. no more screaming 5th gear for an insane amount of time as it locked itself into "mode 10" for some unrealistic reason.

shift mapping.pngshift rpm.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Are you able to share the 2019 stock 8hp75 file you read? Thanks