Thread: Can't write file. New to forum. 2011 S4. Ported, Pullied HP Tuned

Can't write file. New to forum. 2011 S4. Ported, Pullied HP Tuned

New to the forum. I bought my HP MPVi2 for use with a remote tuner in my 19 Mustang GT. I built my 2011 Audi S4 this year and paid a local Audi tuner to use my HP MPVi2 to write a tune on it. He gave me the impression he doesn't use HP tuners but would do it for me in this instance. Dropped off the car with my mpvi2. Got the car back and it ran rough so I called my Mustang tuner to look over this Audi guy's poor tune.

I was able to read the tune file that he wrote and send it to my Mustang tuner. He reviewed it but all he could see done was a bump in the idle, a few turned off DTC codes. Turns out as most of you experienced HP Audi tuners would know that you cant see the tune because it is "virtual". I am still not 100% clear on what this means but point being that I think the Audi tuner did more than just bump the idle and turn off some dtc codes.

Mustang tuner sent me a new tune to use. So I loaded up my mpvi2 and attempted to write it and discovered that I couldnt. The licensing message would come up. I contacted the Audi tuner and asked him why i was having this trouble and he explained that i shouldn't be having any issues as he had had written the tune on his laptop and used his own mpvi2 device but also tested using my mpvi2 with no issue and that regardless with Audi the vin gets unlocked. He claims he added my mpvi2 as a slave to his master and soon thereafter I was able to write my new Mustang tuner's tune.

Car ran good after tuning with Mustang guy so I left the subject alone but i had suspicion that the crafty Audi guy had pocketed my $300 worth of credits and used cracked HP software. I can't prove it so I didnt bother.

This past week I helped my buddy remote tune his F150 using the Mustang guy. All is well so far with the F150 but last night I went to my Audi and made a couple changes to the tune such as turning off secondary air injection dtc and raising the coolant pump duty cycle. I saved the file and attempted to write it to the car. Got the usual licensing message that I would say no thanks to before going ahead but this time it wont go into the "write calibration" menu

I synced my mpvi2. No change. Updated my VCM suite and updated the mpvi2 drivers then reduced again. Nothing changes. Still cant write to the car like I used to. That's the long story. I'm trying to figure this out. Thanks

Rebuilt 3.0t ported blower, headers, 187mm crank pulley.
    Last edited by doublechester15; 01-21-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechester15 View Post
    New to the forum. I bought my HP MPVi2 for use with a remote tuner in my 19 Mustang GT. I built my 2011 Audi S4 this year and paid a local Audi tuner to use my HP MPVi2 to write a tune on it. He gave me the impression he doesn't use HP tuners but would do it for me in this instance. Dropped off the car with my mpvi2. Got the car back and it ran rough so I called my Mustang tuner to look over this Audi guy's poor tune.

I was able to read the tune file that he wrote and send it to my Mustang tuner. He reviewed it but all he could see done was a bump in the idle, a few turned off DTC codes. Turns out as most of you experienced HP Audi tuners would know that you cant see the tune because it is "virtual". I am still not 100% clear on what this means but point being that I think the Audi tuner did more than just bump the idle and turn off some dtc codes.

Mustang tuner sent me a new tune to use. So I loaded up my mpvi2 and attempted to write it and discovered that I couldnt. The licensing message would come up. I contacted the Audi tuner and asked him why i was having this trouble and he explained that i shouldn't be having any issues as he had had written the tune on his laptop and used his own mpvi2 device but also tested using my mpvi2 with no issue and that regardless with Audi the vin gets unlocked. He claims he added my mpvi2 as a slave to his master and soon thereafter I was able to write my new Mustang tuner's tune.

Car ran good after tuning with Mustang guy so I left the subject alone but i had suspicion that the crafty Audi guy had pocketed my $300 worth of credits and used cracked HP software. I can't prove it so I didnt bother.

This past week I helped my buddy remote tune his F150 using the Mustang guy. All is well so far with the F150 but last night I went to my Audi and made a couple changes to the tune such as turning off secondary air injection dtc and raising the coolant pump duty cycle. I saved the file and attempted to write it to the car. Got the usual licensing message that I would say no thanks to before going ahead but this time it wont go into the "write calibration" menu

I synced my mpvi2. No change. Updated my VCM suite and updated the mpvi2 drivers then reduced again. Nothing changes. Still cant write to the car like I used to. That's the long story. I'm trying to figure this out. Thanks

Rebuilt 3.0t ported blower, headers, 187mm crank pulley.
    Post a VCMsuite Info to see if the vehicle is licensed, it will show current licenses

If you need help tuning I can help and if you want to pay for a tune I can do that also ��

Start with your stock file, tuned file and logs ��

Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    Post a VCMsuite Info to see if the vehicle is licensed, it will show current licenses

If you need help tuning I can help and if you want to pay for a tune I can do that also ��

Start with your stock file, tuned file and logs ��
    Attached is my vcm suite log from back when this problem was discovered. I imagine nothing has changed other than I licensed the Ford F150. You'll see nothing to do with the Audi in that log. He explained it away by saying he used my credits in his own device but that the vin is what gets licensed in the case of Audis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Guy likely didn't tune your vehicle based on the information you've provided.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, sounds like he licensed it with his mpvi2, not yours. The license is between a specific MPVI2 and controller serial number. You'll need to license it with yours. When you do a virtual read, you download a .hpt file that is specific to your VIN and controller serial etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Yeah, sounds like he licensed it with his mpvi2, not yours. The license is between a specific MPVI2 and controller serial number. You'll need to license it with yours. When you do a virtual read, you download a .hpt file that is specific to your VIN and controller serial etc.
    So far after he has sent me the file I have been able to read/write files to my ecm on my laptop with my own MPVI2. So this is the problem. If he licensed it with his mpvi2 and I wasn't going to be able to read/write my own files after that then how have i been able to do so thus far including having sent his file to another tuner, received another file and written it to the vehicle.

Advanced Tuner
    So far after he has sent me the file I have been able to read/write files to my ecm on my laptop with my own MPVI2. So this is the problem. If he licensed it with his mpvi2 and I wasn't going to be able to read/write my own files after that then how have i been able to do so thus far including having sent his file to another tuner, received another file and written it to the vehicle.
    okay so the issues is fixed then? awesome

Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    okay so the issues is fixed then? awesome
    No. Problem wasn't fixed. Still no solution.

Advanced Tuner
    No. Problem wasn't fixed. Still no solution.
    did you submit a ticket with support?