Thread: 2002 Mustang GT with Vortech supercharger Lean Tip In

Tuner

2002 Mustang GT with Vortech supercharger Lean Tip In

I am tuning a 2002 muatng gt with vortech supercharger 8-9 psi non-intercooled. It has dark blue top injectors and 90mm Lightning MAF. it idle and drives well. except for tip in WOT. It has lean spike when pressing the throttle to WOT. It was getting to 1.5 lambda in tip in when transient into WOT. After making some adjustments to manifold volume, maf failure load and transient tables it get a little better with 1.17 lambda in tip in then the afr get to the commanded lambda. I could not find the correct data for the dark blue top injectors so I copied the Cobra data as I think it is the closest injectors in flow rate to what I have and make some changes to flow rate low and high. Any idea how to fix the lean tip in spike?
    Lean tip in.hpt I cannot upload a scanner file because I am using Forscan to data log.mustang out of car.hpt
    Last edited by yaqoubalmounes; 01-22-2022 at 09:03 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Something to try - transient - evap rate - copy 37 column - paste into last right column and then interpolate between the two. Keep in mind that "stomping" happens at idle and lower rpms too. Looks like a lot of your load and even failed tables aren't necessarily showing the loads that you may be seeing at lower rpms...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Something to try - transient - evap rate - copy 37 column - paste into last right column and then interpolate between the two. Keep in mind that "stomping" happens at idle and lower rpms too. Looks like a lot of your load and even failed tables aren't necessarily showing the loads that you may be seeing at lower rpms...
    Thank you. I will give that a try. Just trying to understand, so the load and failed table are not correct? I increased the load just to see if that will correct the lean spike. Do you recommend to keep as the stock file or adjusting them?
    Is stomp caused by the incorrect load and failed table or it may happen when adjusting the evap rate. Sorry for too much questions. I am trying to understand your valuable advice.

Tuning Addict
    What I meant by it was that you might also want to increase the values for airflow in the higher load lower rpm areas like you have for the higher rpm and load areas. Even your peak load and map tables were pretty low if memory is serving me correctly for these areas.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    What I meant by it was that you might also want to increase the values for airflow in the higher load lower rpm areas like you have for the higher rpm and load areas. Even your peak load and map tables were pretty low if memory is serving me correctly for these areas.
    Got it. Thank you for your help. I copied and pasted in the evap rate table and it got much better. I think I have a wrong injectors data. I will try another data and will see is it get better.

Tuner
    I don't know much about this strategy but I'm curious about how much it cares about the Speed Density. This is what the calculated VE looks like in MAF rate (lbs/min), section highlighted in yellow being values possibly not seen by the model because it's a boosted MAP value. Your failed Airmass Table would definitely need adjustment to be correct, and the slope values may need to be raised/corrected. Also curious if disabling Cylair Anticipation makes any difference. I don't see the Load w/failed MAF being a problem unless your lean spike is before 2000RPM. Some people like to raise the Cylair WOT Multiplier to like 1.9 or 2 as well.

Screenshot 2022-01-30 003746.png

Then you have this "Percent Load" switch which appears to change how the PCM finds itself along the Y axis of the Base Fuel Table (and probably any load dependent table, so Borderline Spark might be at risk too), set to "Speed Density." Could mean that it's limiting the load value sent to the fuel table (and limiting actual load), both of which could cause a lean spike. I would think with boost you would want to rely on the MAF as much as possible.
    Last edited by RobCat030; 01-30-2022 at 12:06 AM.

Tuning Addict
    ^^^ You went into much more detail, but yes these were the points I was trying to make with the "general" other load tables needs to be adjusted statement. Most strategies will use speed density for transient fueling or in other words rapid rpm changes more than 75ish rpms...

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Being a new tuner and trying to learn, I am glad he went into more detail!