Thread: 05 ecm No scanner connection in stand alone

Potential Tuner

05 ecm No scanner connection in stand alone

Hello I have a stand alone setup I was trying to use for a Dyno engine . I have a 05 manual ecm that I had to connect the tipm to get it to give me a stock tune file. It allows me to flash it without tipm wired in , but I cant get it to connect to vcm scanner . Is this not possible ? I can use a snap-on scanner to read data and codes. but the vcm scanner will not connect. anyone have experience with this? Thanks all!!

Banned
    Haven?t used a Cummins ECM as a stand-alone but there is no TIPM for the 2005 and older. TIPM didn?t come in till 2006. Either way, shouldn?t be an issue logging on the VCM Scanner, have you applied the OS patch to the tune file to read extended PIDs?

Potential Tuner
    I have applied the tune patch. That shouldn't change that I cannot connect or read codes or data with the vcm scanner . The front fuse block assm is called a integrated power module on 03-05 trucks it has a computer on the side of it. It is linked in with the pci bus along with the other modules. Like I said it wouldn't pull the VIN# to get me the stock tune until I hooked it in with a fuse block (ipm), no other module was plugged in with it. So it must pull the vin from the IPM. I can wire in the IPM again and see if it allows me to scan its been a while back I did it but if I remember I connected to it and looked at apps and temps with engine off . But I was wondering if there was another way as the extra crap tagging along is bulky.

Banned
    The fuse box on the 05 and older is a PDC (Primary Distribution Center), the silver colored controller that plugs into the side of the fuse box is an FCM (Front Control Module) which handles things like headlight controls, etc. Neither store the vehicles VIN and neither require programming to a VIN when being swapped out, true plug and play, swap and go. You are likely missing some wire connections needed for power, grounding and comms. I don?t have my 2005 service manual anywhere near where I am to look at the wiring schematics.

Banned
    The fuse box between 2005 and down and the 2006 and up are completely different animals from each other.