Thread: Nissan VQ40 Frontier Tuning

Potential Tuner

Nissan VQ40 Frontier Tuning

Hi all, new to the board, but a long time tuner. I am dabbling into tuning my personal 2019 Frontier on HPTuners, wondering if there are any others out there and your results with tuning the VQ40.

My biggest issue with the stock binary is the various limiting systems that seem to kick in at random, even on the highway in good traction. Speaking with other owners this is a common issue over the years, many physically modify sensors to reduce this affect, ie the traction control system seems to kick in intermittently, even when disabled, I was hoping for access to those tables, but noted the binary definitions are fairly limited. The majority of the tables are blank, including Transmission, but was grateful that there were 7 Categories available under Engine (as of 01/2022), even if it does think the displacement is 5.6L on the stock ECM downloaded map (server issue?).

EngineTables.png

BlankTables.png

Was hoping to create a thread to gather some intel on tuning these, choose to go with HPTuners over UpRev on this chassis as historically, many tables are added on a regular basis. It would be great to see some VVT/Cam Angles tables as well if they become available, I am sure there is some midrange available there, at least there has been typically.

Curious to see others experience working with Hptuners on this Chassis.

Best Regards,

Steve

Tuner in Training
    I started to tune my 2010 Xterra Off Road but I kind of regret not going with UpRev. Not much info/support as of right now unfortunately.

Potential Tuner
    I have significantly more options on my 2018...I don't know if there was an ECM change, but that would seem unusual for an identical truck. Are you using the "SH_7059 (non-GTR)" controller when you pull the stock file?

edit: Also, obviously, I really don't check these forums often enough.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Etunez View Post
    Hi all, new to the board, but a long time tuner. I am dabbling into tuning my personal 2019 Frontier on HPTuners, wondering if there are any others out there and your results with tuning the VQ40.

My biggest issue with the stock binary is the various limiting systems that seem to kick in at random, even on the highway in good traction. Speaking with other owners this is a common issue over the years, many physically modify sensors to reduce this affect, ie the traction control system seems to kick in intermittently, even when disabled, I was hoping for access to those tables, but noted the binary definitions are fairly limited. The majority of the tables are blank, including Transmission, but was grateful that there were 7 Categories available under Engine (as of 01/2022), even if it does think the displacement is 5.6L on the stock ECM downloaded map (server issue?).

EngineTables.png

BlankTables.png

Was hoping to create a thread to gather some intel on tuning these, choose to go with HPTuners over UpRev on this chassis as historically, many tables are added on a regular basis. It would be great to see some VVT/Cam Angles tables as well if they become available, I am sure there is some midrange available there, at least there has been typically.

Curious to see others experience working with Hptuners on this Chassis.

Best Regards,

Steve
    My 2007 G35 3.5HR/Auto is tuned with Uprev and both the intake and exhaust cam phase has been changed. Gained ALOT of power everywhere and better MPG. It has intakes, HPS silicon post MAF tubes, 2.75" MAF housings, DC Sports headers, Z1 highflow cats and dual 2.5" exhaust with a X pipe and 4 magnaflow mufflers. The car is nearly uncontrallable in 1st gear from wheelspin and makes 318 hp and 282 tq at the wheels. My previous 2012 and 2014 Titans also gained a bit from intake cam phasing changes. My 4.0L has been running a Hypertech 91 octane tune with the WOT restriction removed since about 2013. Has a Volant CAI, Z1 plenum spacer, JBA headers, Audi R8 coils and NGK Ruthenium plugs. Pushes my 2011 2wd Pathfinder to 60 in under 6 seconds and gets better than 20 mpg highway. I don't recall the Pathfinder ever having the traction control nannies engaging without the tires spinning. Traction control off it will spin the P265/70R17 tires pretty effortlessly in first and chirp the 1-2 shift.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 09-05-2022 at 04:13 PM.