Thread: Reading already tuned vehicles

Tuner in Training

Reading already tuned vehicles

Hi, just wondering about reading files from already tuned software (revo, ie, um, Apr etc) can you read those files and look at what has been done to them, and modify those files or do you have to start from a stock file and tune from scratch? Coming from the falcon world where you could read other files so this is new territory for me with the mqb platform.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by richardpalinkas View Post
    Hi, just wondering about reading files from already tuned software (revo, ie, um, Apr etc) can you read those files and look at what has been done to them, and modify those files or do you have to start from a stock file and tune from scratch? Coming from the falcon world where you could read other files so this is new territory for me with the mqb platform.

Cheers
    No you can not read others tunes for multiple reasons not the least of which is the ethics of it. When you read for the first time editor will download a stock file for your ecu.

Advanced Tuner
    These ECUs and pretty much all modern ECUs don't have the ability/functionality to built in to read them. Part of the security / locking down of these ECUs. Boot mode / bench read works, but it's not a trivial or cheap thing to do.

When you do a 'read' with VCM editor, it simply looks at the OS on the ECU and downloads a stock file associated with your car (VIN, controller serial).

So yeah, long story short, you have to start from scratch.

Tuner in Training
    Ah ok. Very different to the ford and gm platform then. I?ve always had the ability to read a file, see what has been done to learn about how different tuners do certain things, trial and implement and see what works best for what I want.

So in the case that I read my file, flash it into the vehicle and it just doesn?t work out, can you reflash in the original file or do you need to go back to the tuner/dealer to flash that tune file back in?

Advanced Tuner
    Ah ok. Very different to the ford and gm platform then. I?ve always had the ability to read a file, see what has been done to learn about how different tuners do certain things, trial and implement and see what works best for what I want.

So in the case that I read my file, flash it into the vehicle and it just doesn?t work out, can you reflash in the original file or do you need to go back to the tuner/dealer to flash that tune file back in?
    If you pay for a license for an ECM you can flash it as many times as you want, including flashing back to stock at any time

Tuner in Training
    What I mean is I have an Apr file already on mine, if I start flashing with hp tuners, and I?m not quite getting the results I want, can go tuners flash the original Apr file that came off or would I have to go back to an Apr dealer to reflash the file?

What I mean is I have an Apr file already on mine, if I start flashing with hp tuners, and I?m not quite getting the results I want, can go tuners flash the original Apr file that came off or would I have to go back to an Apr dealer to reflash the file?
    As was said above you can not read apr's file. That is their intellectual property when you try to read your ecu you will be supplied the stock file for your ecu. although there is debate whether necessary or not i would flash back to stock before flashing with HP. So yes if you are not happy with whatever you have done with HP tuners you will have to go to an APR dealer to get reflashed (APR TAX).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bb-tt View Post
    No you can not read others tunes for multiple reasons not the least of which is the ethics of it. When you read for the first time editor will download a stock file for your ecu.
    Ethics? And what about those tuners taking the work Continental did, modifying it, and then selling the modified Continental software as ACME Tuners ECU upgrade?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MyGolfMK7 View Post
    Ethics? And what about those tuners taking the work Continental did, modifying it, and then selling the modified Continental software as ACME Tuners ECU upgrade?
    Continental isn't willing to sell a modified calibration that accommodates aftermarket parts, adds performance, or whatever other reason you have for tuning. So it's not really a good comparison, is it?
    After all, continental makes their money regardless of whether you tune the car or not. It's not like anyone is selling bootleg ECUs to OEMs robbing Continental of revenue.