Thread: 2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost turbo capabilities

Tuner in Training

2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost turbo capabilities

I've been messing for a while with a 2017 3.5 ecoboost and am amazed at the capability of the stock motor. For the most part I am really happy with the way things are going, but have a few areas that are currently kicking my but.

Desired airflow is crazy high compare turbo airflow. What tables are used to calculate the desired airflow? I've messed with turbo calculator, expected TIP, desired airmass Max load and several other things, but I'm not seeing a connection to any of it.

As the truck starts to come into the initial boost and torque peak I get a lean spike, it only happens on the initial spool up and does not continue as it shifts through gears. I've messed with speed density tables, transient fuel, max injector angle etc with no luck in correcting the problem

Torque converter lockout for a F150. Is this such a thing on the F150. I always have torque converter slip, and I can't get it to apply any line pressure in 1st gear to help reduce the slip.

Right Now the truck is bone stock on E20. I'm waiting for exh, downpipe, intake, and intercooler to arrive. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just posted the same question a few days ago with no answer yet. Only difference is mine is a 2016 f150 3.5 ecoboost and mine is the opposite of yours with the desired turbo airflow lower than the actual turbo airflow. Steven@HPTuners Eric@HPTuners ?
    Last edited by 02reaper; 01-27-2022 at 05:51 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my current tune. Desired airflow seems to be coming around. I played with the turbo efficiency in the turbo coefficient calculator, and rescaled the torque tables. The log is pretty short, I'll get you some more updates later today.

Quote Originally Posted by jacep View Post
    Here is my current tune. Desired airflow seems to be coming around. I played with the turbo efficiency in the turbo coefficient calculator, and rescaled the torque tables. The log is pretty short, I'll get you some more updates later today.
    Mine was a lot closer when I extended my torque tables and inverse torque tables. I have gone in and just added 20lbs of torque to the tables and corrected the inverse, but it didn't seem to do much and honestly I'm not sure thats the correct way to do it over the other way. I have not played with the turbo efficiency and such, so i'm not sure if that effects it or not.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jacep View Post
    I've been messing for a while with a 2017 3.5 ecoboost and am amazed at the capability of the stock motor. For the most part I am really happy with the way things are going, but have a few areas that are currently kicking my but.

Desired airflow is crazy high compare turbo airflow. What tables are used to calculate the desired airflow? I've messed with turbo calculator, expected TIP, desired airmass Max load and several other things, but I'm not seeing a connection to any of it.

As the truck starts to come into the initial boost and torque peak I get a lean spike, it only happens on the initial spool up and does not continue as it shifts through gears. I've messed with speed density tables, transient fuel, max injector angle etc with no luck in correcting the problem

Torque converter lockout for a F150. Is this such a thing on the F150. I always have torque converter slip, and I can't get it to apply any line pressure in 1st gear to help reduce the slip.

Right Now the truck is bone stock on E20. I'm waiting for exh, downpipe, intake, and intercooler to arrive. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    seems to run pretty good, i dont see any kr during the lean period your talking about. Fueling is keeping up great during high boost high rpm,so i wouldnt worry about it to much. just my opinion.
    Last edited by Stevekreger; 01-28-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Looks like your boost is falling off above 5000. Im no expert but I think you need to bump up the driver demand up top. I attached mine to compare. its a 2018 3.5

Tuner in Training
    On the top end you're being limited by your LSPI tables (engine>torque management>general). Raise them up to the desired levels. The throttle closure is trying to limit your load below these limits.