Thread: Any tips for tuning with a loose stall? 6L80

Tuner in Training

Any tips for tuning with a loose stall? 6L80

Dropped in an FTI 3200. Boy it feels loose to me. Accelerating with traffic it stays around 2500-3000. Was wondering if there are any tips or best practices for tuning it for around town driving. For example, should I set it to go through the gears quicker and get into a higher gear or hold them longer?
    car is a c6 vette with headers, moderate cam, and a TI blower.
    Last edited by Oic0; 01-26-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Senior Tuner
    If anything consider raising the shift speeds. A good example is accelerating moderately onto a freeway. Your shift points could have you in 6th gear at 55mph where the speed limit is 75mph and you like to drive at 10mph over the limit... That's 30mph of lugging on the converter, potentially heating the fluid. Raise the shift points a little and take advantage of the torque multiplication. It'll just make thing a little more efficient.

And if it has lockup, definitely get that working. How the lock up clutch is designed will determine if you can lock WOT, allow small amounts of slip when cruising and / or lock in lower gears for economy.

Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Oic0 View Post
    Dropped in an FTI 3200. Boy it feels loose to me. Accelerating with traffic it stays around 2500-3000. Was wondering if there are any tips or best practices for tuning it for around town driving. For example, should I set it to go through the gears quicker and get into a higher gear or hold them longer?
    car is a c6 vette with headers, moderate cam, and a TI blower.
    Download the BlueCat Transmission shift tool, that will get you in the ballpark quickly, its a great little program.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...SAAEgJasfD_BwE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    If anything consider raising the shift speeds. A good example is accelerating moderately onto a freeway. Your shift points could have you in 6th gear at 55mph where the speed limit is 75mph and you like to drive at 10mph over the limit... That's 30mph of lugging on the converter, potentially heating the fluid. Raise the shift points a little and take advantage of the torque multiplication. It'll just make thing a little more efficient.

And if it has lockup, definitely get that working. How the lock up clutch is designed will determine if you can lock WOT, allow small amounts of slip when cruising and / or lock in lower gears for economy.

Food for thought
    No idea why I didnt list that its an FTI 3200rpm triple disk. I have definitely been playing with the lockup a lot. Sofar the fluid heat has been good but its been 30s and 40s outside.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelinls1 View Post
    Download the BlueCat Transmission shift tool, that will get you in the ballpark quickly, its a great little program.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...SAAEgJasfD_BwE
    Thanks for that! ive been wanting a copy but couldn't ever hunt one down. Post 210 had a working link. Definitely helped refine my shift points, especially the partial throttle ones and beats the heck out of using calculators and making spreadsheets myself.
    Last edited by Oic0; 01-27-2022 at 09:37 AM.

I have a 3600ish triple disk in my c6 as well so i feel your pain lol. Use the bluecat Calc to get it in the ball park for shift speeds and such. I only command lockup in 5/6 after about 50mph or so. If you wanna lock it up at WOT thats fine since its a triple disk. Zero out ALL your slip tables in the cal and i bump regulator gain to 1.0 and offset to 60.00psi. be aware these units lockup ABRUPTLY. ive tried everything to get mine to lockup softer but it is what it is. Try that and report back; goodluck.