Thread: Have a real strange one here 03 Mustang GT Shuts off in Park or neutral after driving

Potential Tuner

Have a real strange one here 03 Mustang GT Shuts off in Park or neutral after driving

I have been trying to figure this one out on my 2003 Mustang GT with an automatic transmission. It doesn't seem to be an airflow issue so let me explain what happens. I can start the car cold in park or neutral and let it idle forever, it never dies out. As soon as I drive the car down the road and come to a stop as soon as I put it in park or neutral it will shut off after it reaches the Idle Transition period of 2 seconds. I know this because I extended it to 12 seconds and it idled for 12 seconds in the same scenario and then shut off. Now I can restart it in park and it will idle just fine until I drive it again. I have replaced the transmission selector switch with no help. I can rev it up once I stop and as long as I am depressing the accelerator it will stay running As soon as I go back to idle it stalls. Again I can restart it in park right away and it will run until I drive it again and park. It will do this in park or neutral. The car runs excellent otherwise. Idle is great a/c on or off. Slows down in traffic fine and idles perfect again as long as it is in drive. I can shift to reverse once stopped and it will continue to run until I either go to neural or park. Has anyone ever had this issue. This just all of a sudden started happening. It wasn't after any part addition or replacement. I have also replaced the TPS, cleaned the TB (Stock TB), Cleaned the IAC valve, replaced the IAC valve, tested the EBR, disconnected the EGR valve, Cleaned the MAF, Replaced the seal under the TB to intake, Checked all vacuum connections, sprayed starting fluid around the TB, Intake, vacuum lines, etc. Cleaned and tightened all grounds under the hood. There are no codes at all. Nothing changes it. Has anyone had this issue? Need some guidance before I go crazy!

Tuning Addict
    Had this issue on a manual car. You could drive it all dayish then come to a stop, come to an idle and then it just die like you cut the key off. Crank, rev up a few seconds - go back to idle and then die. Give it throttle to keep it going then it might idle fine for awhile. That particular instance was fuel pump going out... Not sure if that has anything to do with yours though? Is it running different injectors or anything? Wrong injector data will probably make it worse...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    Yes fuel pump is brand new. Stock injectors and injector data. It just started happening out of nowhere. I'm missing something just not sure what.

Advanced Tuner
    interesting

does anyone know the actual ford pid for this transition scalar?
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/