Thread: Someone give me a straight answer!!

Potential Tuner

Someone give me a straight answer!!

This might be a dumb question but I never seem to get a straight answer when I ask it. I recently went from a 4.8 to a 5.3 in my Silverado with a non vvt cam and need to know if it will run with the vvt still on the computer for my break in? Can some one give me a definitive answer please, thanks

Advanced Tuner
    i would not try it until you turn off DOD. just my opinion.

Potential Tuner
    The 4.8 did not have the AFM just can’t seem to find the info I need on the VVT

I don't think the VVT will throw the engine into REP if say it was unplugged. I've seen plenty of tunes where people have forgot to turn that off in the computer but the engine still ran.

There is nothing to really break in on a LS engine, start it and run it. It's a roller camshaft not a solid lifter. Get it tuned as soon as possible.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    ahhh i see what you are saying now. i cant say for sure i am not familiar with the different ecm's. from what i have read, both could be e38 but have different tables in them. may want to do some more research. sorry i couldnt be of any more help

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for all the help guys