Thread: Am I doing this right?

Tuner

Am I doing this right?

Hello, I installed a cam and 706 heads on my 1500HD with an LQ4, check sig. I have been fighting this whole tuning thing. I want to make sure that I have these set up properly so I can finally tune this Turd Sandwich. I have included my starting tune file and what I currently working with for MAF and VE tuning. I'm wondering if these tuning files are properly set up because I feel like I'm chasing my tail and nothing is going right. I have gotten tons of advice about how to tune this pile of parts, but feel that I may have taken the wrong advice a time or ten.
    2006 1500hd LQ4, 706 heads, 1 7/8 long-tube headers, BTR stage 2 v2 cam (212/218 @.50, 553/553, 111 lsa)

Safe to assume you are using a wideband to tune with?

Data logs are more helpful here sometimes than the tune files you have been trying.

The one tune has the dynamic airflow switch over wrong if you were trying to just MAF tune, you raised it up to 12,000rpm and instead of dropping it down to something like 200/100rpm so it tried to run on the MAF only and not a mix of both.

The VE table seems inflated and that seems about right with stock injectors. They aren't big enough to support the power that camshaft can make. You're missing out on power with the rev limit set in this tune, that camshaft will make power at 6,000rpm still but you have it shifting at 5,200rpm and rev limit at 5,600-5,700rpm. For sure the injectors won't have enough in them to reach 6,000-6,100 rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Safe to assume you are using a wideband to tune with?

Data logs are more helpful here sometimes than the tune files you have been trying.

The one tune has the dynamic airflow switch over wrong if you were trying to just MAF tune, you raised it up to 12,000rpm and instead of dropping it down to something like 200/100rpm so it tried to run on the MAF only and not a mix of both.

The VE table seems inflated and that seems about right with stock injectors. They aren't big enough to support the power that camshaft can make. You're missing out on power with the rev limit set in this tune, that camshaft will make power at 6,000rpm still but you have it shifting at 5,200rpm and rev limit at 5,600-5,700rpm. For sure the injectors won't have enough in them to reach 6,000-6,100 rpm.
    Yes, I have a WB O2 through the EGR ports on the ECU.

I have 50 lb/hr injectors ready but I wanna dial in everything else before I install them and redo the VE. I still have the stock rev limit in place and don't plan on revving this out, but I do plan to tow with it.

I just made some adjustments to the tune ending in "-adj maf-", is that what you're talking about?

I attached the data logs from last week.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MrGuy; 01-28-2022 at 11:34 AM.
    2006 1500hd LQ4, 706 heads, 1 7/8 long-tube headers, BTR stage 2 v2 cam (212/218 @.50, 553/553, 111 lsa)

Tuner
    bump

Tuning Addict
    How are you making changes to your fueling? Only reason I ask is because unless I just completely overlooked it, I didn't see any sort of wideband being displayed in the log. I can see that your logging in open loop. Just no afr being seen to log errors against.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Wideband through the EGR. Is logging in open loop bad? I feel like I'm chasing my tail and decided to make this post. I have been following Goat Rope Garage for help and feel like I got some bad advice from that channel.

Tuner in Training
    I followed Goat Rope initially too. his setup advice worked for me, But theres a sticky in this forum that goes in depth for explaining MAF tuning that helps a lot too.
    read the comments on his videos, people are quick to point out any mistakes he makes.

you want to be open loop when logging EQ error rate or you'll be fighting your fuel trims, I see you have commanded EQ in the data poles, but I dont know if you have the math setup to take the voltage from your EGR/wideband input and convert it into lambda, and then plot the difference in your chart.

where are you having issues? is it not registering the difference in error rate vs commanded EQ in your scanner? or do you feel you're getting bad data?

Tuning Addict
    I didn't see a wideband in the log. Are you just "watching" the wideband reading and trying to make adjustments that way? You can make corrections via fuel trims and honestly since the engine is going to use that anyway, it's the way I prefer to dial in my MAF and normal VE areas. Use the wideband for comparison in case your O2's need shifting a little and for wot tuning.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

He created a custom channel with the EGR circuit to log the wideband.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    I attached the math for my EGR WB O2 sensor - AEM 30-0310.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner
    So, I have a question. Let's say that I wanted to start over and make the necessary adjustments to my stock file for the 706 heads and cam. What should I adjust? I've made so many changes while learning how to use this software that I wonder if there's something else that I may have messed up. I attached the pre-mod tune. I would transfer the MAF, timing, and VE adjustments over.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    my method is to have a locked away "as found" file, and then a "running" file.
    in another folder I have the MAF and VE adjustment tune files. on either file i'll make a run, insert the data i collected to the tune, and resave it as step 1, step 2, 3, 4 etc. that way i can go back if i mess something up and I have the in between data to look at and see where things were going.

after I have a step file im happy with I put the VE and MAF data in the running file and resave it as running step 1.
    the running steps are usually named by the changes I made, so "VE MAF blend 1" or "fuel up step 1"

also make use of the compare function between tunes in case you forgot something and want to see what you changed.

Tuning Addict
    Ok, I see the egr volts changing now. Couple other things - Your driving too erratically. You need slow movements of the pedal and then use gearing combined with hills to hit different areas of the tables. This is when your forced to road tune. Next thing - Your MAF is unplugged. Your IAT is showing really negative temps skewing your entire fuel model logging like this. You can fail the maf via settings under diagnostic airflow or even remove a pin from the connector if you wish to go that far. BUT don't just unplug it.

You may have made changes to idle for the cam, so might want to just look those areas over too.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by quadraburb View Post
    my method is to have a locked away "as found" file, and then a "running" file.
    in another folder I have the MAF and VE adjustment tune files. on either file i'll make a run, insert the data i collected to the tune, and resave it as step 1, step 2, 3, 4 etc. that way i can go back if i mess something up and I have the in between data to look at and see where things were going.

after I have a step file im happy with I put the VE and MAF data in the running file and resave it as running step 1.
    the running steps are usually named by the changes I made, so "VE MAF blend 1" or "fuel up step 1"

also make use of the compare function between tunes in case you forgot something and want to see what you changed.
    You can also go under edit - view change logs - this is harder to sort through, but if in doubt or forgot to save something because you got in a hurry

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Ok, I see the egr volts changing now. Couple other things - Your driving too erratically. You need slow movements of the pedal and then use gearing combined with hills to hit different areas of the tables. This is when your forced to road tune. Next thing - Your MAF is unplugged. Your IAT is showing really negative temps skewing your entire fuel model logging like this. You can fail the maf via settings under diagnostic airflow or even remove a pin from the connector if you wish to go that far. BUT don't just unplug it.

You may have made changes to idle for the cam, so might want to just look those areas over too.
    Thanks, I'll look into them items tomorrow. I normally just fail the maf through the tune file. I just replaced it with an OEM one and hope it's not already bad. We're expecting 40's in Minnesota and I should be able to do some road tuning.