Thread: Idle Dip When Shifting Into Neutral Or Throttle Blip

Potential Tuner

Idle Dip When Shifting Into Neutral Or Throttle Blip

Good morning all! A little back story on my situation. I bought a LS1 with a tuned ECU from an 01 Trans Am many years ago. The guy I bought it from was using it as his daily but was wanting to go bigger so he sold it to me. I have the motor in my 05 Infiniti G35 with a T56 from a 06 GTO. The motor runs great and pulls hard. I am not running a wideband because the guy I bought it from was using it as his DD and had it dyno tuned. I have not made any changes to the fuel and/or spark tables.

I have had a throttle dip issue since the beginning. It will happen when the car is cold or hot. It happens in neutral and also while cruising if I shift into N to coast and let off the gas. The RPMs will sometimes dip once and then recover and other times they seem to dip 4 or 5 times and then recover. I have learned to blip the throttle a bit when they start to fall to prevent stalling but this can get tricky in heavy traffic and I am getting tired of it. The car will rarely die if I don't do anything to help the idle when it is dipping. I have attached 2 logs - 1 of me cruising and then shifting into N and the other is of me idling and then blipping the throttle (both logs were done on a warm engine).

The engine mods are as follows - 01 LS1, PRC Heads, MS4 cam, Speed Density, FAST 102, Long Tubes

1-28-2022.hpt
    Cruising Neutral Shift Throttle Drop.hpl
    Warm Idle Throttle Blips.hpl

No expert here...
    I notice your idle air control is at 1 step while idling
    Your base running airflow seems stock
    In the picture this table is zero in a lot of areas and I'm not sure why (maybe someone who knows can chime in

Search for Russ K idle tuning and go through that procedure and I bet you will fix the problem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Senior Tuner
    It's too rich at idle. It needs some tuning on the fuel table. Just like dhoagland mentioned, the base airflow table is stock. It needs a bit more airflow.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Russ K idle tuning methodology and look into the fuel table tweaking. I need to get a wideband setup before I start messing with the fuel table I reckon.

Just go off oxygen sensors for time being, they are very accurate to hit stoich

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C