Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ls1 tune cam headers

Looks a little lean actually to me…

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Factory injectors shouldn’t keep up with that setup.. also why it shows your peak numbers at a lower RPm

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Looks a little lean actually to me?
    Hey how can you confirm that its lean or what are you looking at that makes you think that? The tuner assured me that the car was tuned 12.6-12.7 afr wideband as i watched him tune it but didnt take a look at his wideband when tuning for 6k rpm WOT and 6k shiftpoints as he put the car on dyno and said it wasnt making anymore power up top so left the shiftpoints alone. It did add a little pep where the dead spot is at part throttle for the descreened maf. He said it was a safe tune and is 25 degrees correct for wot? I would think it would have atleast the 28 degrees stock timing. Now i can put a wideband but they are 150$-200$. The car has the stock factory exhaust so it is pretty restrictive. He stated that for a throttle body or gear change could change it no charge but for injectors it would need a whole retune. One is my old 98 z28 with stock injectors 375whp 375wtq and 501whp with white svo injectors at 120% duty cycle.

I've had a 98 z28 6 speed 3.42s same engine but i think 98s had 28lb injectors manual,gear with a similar 218 bullet cam, manley dual springs, ported tb, and open hooker headers that made 375whp 375wtq on a mustang dyno. When tuning the car i wasnt told that the injectors were maxed out so i think stock could handle the 375whp and tq. The car ran a solid 114-116mph so i think it was tuned correctly and 6600rpm rev limiter where id normally shift at 6400 before tagging the rev limiter. The problem is this was a different tuner in 2011 and mustang dyno. I later put a s475 turbo truck manifold kit with svo white injectors 36lb or 42lb at 58psi gm fuel pressure. The car was tuned for 6lbs off the wastegate spring and i had a new aem wideband that i had just installed and directly after having it tuned the car would stay at 11.7 afr on the wideband when WOT but the injectors were at 120% duty cycle. It wasn't a problem and the car ran solid at the track or on the street.

Any suggestions on this current 99 corvette tune thats suppose to be 12.6-12.7 afr WOT dynotuned to 6k rpm and shiftpoints but on a dynocom 5000 dyno not a mustang dyno. The numbers are different from a mustang or dynojet where id suspect maybe 340whp thru the stock 4l60e and 3.15 gear. As a c5 owner i dont think i can afford a tuner to waste the engine being lean may i ask how you suggests its running lean? I've never had problems with a different tuner and 500whp+ on a stock ls1 longblock. You may be right a different tuner is that what youre suggesting? You can look up the shop said they were in business for 12 years when i called them. Are you suggesting install a wideband to monitor afr WOT? I believe he uploaded a tune and threw it on a dyno to confirm with a wideband.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JustinRaney; 02-17-2022 at 12:31 AM.

Tuner in Training
    A different ls shop said dynacoms werent as good and that they would allow me to make some pulls on their dynojet with afr logging to confirm for 150$ and get correct number. That or spend the 150$ on a wideband o2 glowshift/maxtow and monitor afr myself from now on but i still think a better or more common dynojet would get correct hp numbers.

https://youtu.be/IUKRbmSq4-I

Tuner in Training
    Ok if its lean would a wideband in the factory h-pipe be the way to go to confirm afr is 12.6-12.7? AEM x series wideband upgraded lsu 4.2 sensor i think if not a 4.9.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinRaney View Post
    Ok if its lean would a wideband in the factory h-pipe be the way to go to confirm afr is 12.6-12.7? AEM x series wideband upgraded lsu 4.2 sensor i think if not a 4.9.
    That should work, I’m guessing it’s close to 13.5

14 Gen 5 Viper

Senior Tuner
    It's not a good idea to install the wideband into the H-pipe. Choose a bank and install it in one or the other.

What Kevin said, stock to one side when possible… if both sides are doing what they should, WB placement in the exhaust will be pretty equal, but yes side specific is nice

14 Gen 5 Viper

Tuner in Training
    What Kevin said, stock to one side when possible? if both sides are doing what they should, WB placement in the exhaust will be pretty equal, but yes side specific is nice
    Ah i had a wideband one time and it was on a turbo downpipe and injectors run at 120% duty cycle with 11.7afr on an aem wideband. If the tuner knows what theyre doing they could get the stock injectors on a cam only ls1 to 12.5-12.7 afr. So youre saying just to wideband one side? It wouldnt work on a factory h-pipe this way? Id prefer the h-pipe that way its an equal reading of both sides afr. He told me he ran it with hp tuners with a wideband in the tail pipe 12.5-12.7 afr WOT all the way to 6k and the car was track ready.

Senior Tuner
    Ah i had a wideband one time and it was on a turbo downpipe and injectors run at 120% duty cycle with 11.7afr on an aem wideband. If the tuner knows what theyre doing they could get the stock injectors on a cam only ls1 to 12.5-12.7 afr. So youre saying just to wideband one side? It wouldnt work on a factory h-pipe this way? Id prefer the h-pipe that way its an equal reading of both sides afr. He told me he ran it with hp tuners with a wideband in the tail pipe 12.5-12.7 afr WOT all the way to 6k and the car was track ready.
    No, don't install the O2 sensor in the H. It's the least accurate place to install it. There simply isn't enough exhaust flow in that area.
    Chose a side and inside it directly into the exhaust pipe.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    No, don't install the O2 sensor in the H. It's the least accurate place to install it. There simply isn't enough exhaust flow in that area.
    Chose a side and inside it directly into the exhaust pipe.
    You sure one side is enough to determine afr equally?

If it makes you feel better, do a pull and swap it to the other side lol

14 Gen 5 Viper

Senior Tuner
    I actually have a dual wideband unit that I can check both sides at the same time. In 99% of applications, a single wideband is good enough. However, you'll occasionally have an application that has a big disparity from one bank to the other. It can be related to the intake manifold design, or throttle body design/placement, or individual injector flow, or the disparity from one runner to the next, or even a combination of multiple factors.
    If your application has a large spread from bank to bank, that's good knowledge to have. However, you'll have to decide what to do with that knowledge.
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 03-08-2022 at 11:19 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    I actually have a dual wideband unit that I can check both sides at the same time. In 99% of applications, a single wideband is good enough. However, you'll occasionally have an application that has a big disparity from one bank to the other. It can be related to the intake manifold design, or throttle body design/placement, or individual injector flow, or the disparity from one runner to the next, or even a combination of multiple factors.
    If your application has a large spread from bank to bank, that's good knowledge to have. However, you'll have to decide what to do with that knowledge.
    what are your thoughts on this unmarked but similar to aem wideband. I know the price is right and about inline what a wideband should cost. https://www.amazon.com/CNPAPC-30-411...9MHPLJW2&psc=1

Im all for a dual wideband unit but theyre twice the cost with the engine design being mostly stock i think the o2 one bank would throw a lean code from the stock o2 sensor.
    Last edited by JustinRaney; 03-09-2022 at 05:03 AM.

Tuner in Training
    If it makes you feel better, do a pull and swap it to the other side lol
    A local shop said i could do 2-3 pulls with afr logging for 150$ on their dynojet and get a correct graph to determine fueling is accurate after i having mentioned having the car tuned and told me the graph the other shop gave me looked bizarre. Sent me one of their dynojet numbers around 340whp and was a steady incline to 6k-6500 barely lining out or decline like an old cam header mustang dyno tune i had done.

Im not sure if it would be better to purchase a wideband for the price of having a different set of dyno pulls with afr logging. I did have some front o2 issues with the stock AFS75 at 92k one for heater circuit and one for insufficient activity and swapped some 114k mile delphi which both read insufficient activity so i swapped in some new afs75 which have the wire tang on the outside. A bit different design densos may be better or borsch but at idle and revving the car runs smoother. With the delphi rear cat o2s the car was running rough and would stahl at idle/park unless put in gear. Actually ran worse then the car with the stock tune and aftermarket cam.
    Last edited by JustinRaney; 03-09-2022 at 05:16 AM.

Tuner in Training
    As you seemexpert at tuning and familiar with widebands? What widebands are best im about to spend the 160$-200$ for a wideband and dont want to get one thats known to have problems and the manufacturer not help with solving the issue. The innovate or x series or a glowshift? They dont have warranty on the o2 sensors but 30days. If the o2 goes bad or is bad out of the box its the same bosch lsu 4.0 o2 sensor that sells on ebay for 30$ but 110$ from the regular wideband gauge seller? The plugs look the same on the ebay 30$ bosch wideband replacement bosch o2 sensors. The innovate wideband looks great are their any specific ones known to have problems or which have the best accurate readings and last the longest?

Tuner in Training
    As ive read bad reviews about the lc2 innovate plug not connecting or bending terminals i may just go with a glowshift digital wideband and just use the 2.5" not weldable clamped o2 bung with a hole in the exhaust piping. If i can i need to order a 50$ lincoln 3200hd magnum 100L welding cable off amazon to repair my current welder and could probably weld the glowshift bung somewhere before the h pipe in the rear o2 location.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone notice any powergain when removing the stock mufflers in place of borla straight pipes or similar? I think im going to go with a glowshift digital wideband i spoke with aem and glowshift both said they use the bosch 17025 sensor which can be bought on ebay for 30$ just have to make sure its bosch brand and not similar to bosch in genuine bosch packaging. I got exhaust dont today on the corvette after i need to order a wideband sometime this week to confirm afr is correct.
    https://youtu.be/o2cDaiShD0Y

Tuner in Training

The dynotuner was able to locate the fuel cut vss 2mph and change to 200. The only thing for another tuner its 450$ for another dynotune with bigger injectors.
    Still need to get the wideband installed.