Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17 Sierra 6.2L 8L90 BTR stage 2 cam, headers, idle surge.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay, sounds like a good plan. Will do.
    Thanks again!

Tuning Addict
    So going off of your log this should be close to your new VE table. It is odd looking, but see how it drives. Higher rpms is still low so watch out there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    I know I still have some much needed VVE and MAF tuning, but things are good enough that I am trying to get the rings seated in too since it had so much time on the engine already just trying to get it stable enough for the street. I have a log with everything enabled normal and a log with just SD. I did the log with everything enabled to see if I have any cylinders acting up. I also left my misfire tables extra sensitive which I know will catch some that are just the cam lope, but cylinder 4 does look to have a little more than the rest. Probably nothing major from what I can tell though.

copied over vve changes ghuggins recommended.hpt
    vve and FP updates with nothing disabled.hpl
    vve and FP updates with MAF disabled.hpl

Tuning Addict
    Made some more minor changes. Should be closer for you. Changed 02's for headers, vve and minor tweak to idle and DI fueling.

Just looked at the MAF log too. You really might want to put into 100% MAF and tune it in while making changes to the VVE at the same time. Really don't want to break it in rich like that.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-06-2022 at 11:42 AM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks! I was unsure what table to change for the O2's being further back, so that is great. Also I had tried to read up on what I could for the SOI changes to match the cam, but got really mixed info to where I just did not feel comfortable changing them.

Tuning Addict
    On A lot of the DI stuff you can just use slightly modified stuff straight from "like" setups from factory. The above table is straight out of a SS camaro. You just have to change the corresponding tables since you changed your base table. AND since it's DI fueling, I pretty much ignore the fact that the cam has changed airflow and think of it more as making the engine more or less efficient. Then you also have to weigh out the "fueling time" facts to correspond with that.

If you don't like it you can always change things back, that's just part of "experimental" tuning if you will You never know what you might discover in the process though...

I would dial in the fueling - you might want to tweak timing before that and then drive it for break in.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    I like the concept too. I had downloaded many of the tunes from the repository to compare and try to understand Gen 5 (pretty green on Gen4 too). I also did some searches on here and looked for attachment symbols in the searches to find even more tunes and logs to compare with. Just starting so far off out of the gate, I did not do well with changes I was trying.

I would have tried to learn more on the truck stuck, but I purchased it with engine issues. Found a blown head gasket and two spun rod bearings and had 185k miles. Car fax showed before I got it then it had 185k miles on it 13 months ago and came to a few shops in that time. with a new fuel injector on #5 (same cylinder I found blown head gasket), new rod bearings, head gaskets, new cats, plugs, ECM diagnostics, induction cleaning and at least 3 times opening up the engine from the colors of silicone layered on top of each other. Probably part of the reason I am so paranoid about the engine even after going through it meticulously for the rebuild lol.

I actually told myself years ago that I would not be rebuilding anymore engines, to just grab a low mile from salvage. But these L86's are so high even used and then would still want to get rid of DOD anyway.

Here is the latest log after those changes and still running in SD mode.

long drive latest changes.hpl

Tuning Addict
    Maybe get one more log for VE corrections and then put back into 100% MAF to make corrections to it. Your VE table and corresponding fueling is looking a whole lot better. Is it coming to idle better now? Previous log showed it to still be dipping just ever so slightly.

This one also has a still safe timing table in it for break in, but since your staying out of PE for your MAF and VE tuning leave the timing table your running in it for now. You can put this one in after the MAF is dialed in.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, it is coming to idle very well which is great. I will check out those changes. I also have my Wideband setup now, so I wont have to just use fuel trims.

Before putting on the new updates, the only slight quirks I really notice are the idle timing will dip sometimes (I think this is what you were seeing too and asking about) and if I am understanding things then I believe it will take some experimenting with a few timing tables and/or VT tables for that one. Other quirk is the very light throttle take off feels a little light especially just after it shifts to 2nd it almost stops accelerating which I think may be partly because of the change in the driver demand table that was for the boosted truck and maybe tweaking VT to smooth this out.

Tuning Addict
    Idle timing dipping down is just it stabilizing things. Wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. Dialing in fueling the rest of the way should actually clean a lot of it up. As for throttle - the main timing tables will help a lot and yes you'll need to work the DD tables to how they suite you best. I always spend a decent amount of time on the DD tables just smoothing and increasing where need be. Just try to do all of them the same way.

Added tune with DD, torque and some timing corrections. Didn't mess with idle timing as Fueling needs to be corrected first.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-06-2022 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added Tune With DD Changes

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    I didn't do it in the last, but make sure to re-enable your PE and MAF if your ready to tune it or leave your MAF disabled until your done with VVE.

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Before you change the VVE, try playing with DI fueling first. I looked at the one I had done, I raised it 5 in the upper left 4 cells and then lowered it 5 or so around there. Then I changed the rest a lot, but it was boosted.
    what table are you referring to as DI fueling?

Tuning Addict
    Soi table.