Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first time tuner need advice

Tuner in Training
    Only thing I haven't touch up on so far is SOI and EOI tables otherwise afr is within+- .05 both maf and vve tables. I've had no knock other than when the exhaust got a leak. Trans I used blue cat and feels way better. Torque I've adjusted where I had over 20% tq mgmnt. My end goal has been to be between 600-700 hp for a very fun dd. So I'll be putting a smaller SC pulley after I'd add meth

Tuner in Training
    After getting maf and vve dialed in at light throttle cruising to pass or up hill. I'm getting 2-6*KR with 5-10*spark advance then IPW from 5-6ms. I've been adjusting SOI and EOI slowly which has brought pulse width down but don't understand why I'm getting spark advance with KR

Tuner in Training
    here is current tune and closed loop log if anyone can give insight.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    On the DI stuff, if timing gets too close to injection spray it will pull timing via knock retard even though there is no knock. You can change injection pressure and timing to work around this. A DI motor can run in the 20's on timing with about 6psi of boost with no problems with the correct pressure and injection timing tables...

Was going to post a tune for you to start off of with the fuel changes, but attachment device just keeps timing out. You can shoot me an email and I can give it to you that way.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    On the DI stuff, if timing gets too close to injection spray it will pull timing via knock retard even though there is no knock. You can change injection pressure and timing to work around this. A DI motor can run in the 20's on timing with about 6psi of boost with no problems with the correct pressure and injection timing tables...

Was going to post a tune for you to start off of with the fuel changes, but attachment device just keeps timing out. You can shoot me an email and I can give it to you that way.
    Would you mind expanding on this a bit more?

I've been wrestling with inconsistent/erratic KR for months now and nothing seems to help.

2016 Suburban
    -L83/6L80E
    -Whipple
    -GPI Stg 1 cam, no DOD
    -E85
    -Water/Meth injection
    -LT4 injectors
    -ARH long-tube headers, no cats

Tuning Addict
    Increase injection pump output like you would a diesel or any DI motor to shorten the spray time requirement and then start soi sooner (in it's given window limits) so again your opening your buffer zone up. Just keep in mind you have to ramp into both - can't just max things out...

Then something else to keep in mind - this is all if the KR is more or less false - todays gas is garbage, so could partially be real knock your seeing.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Increase injection pump output like you would a diesel or any DI motor to shorten the spray time requirement and then start soi sooner (in it's given window limits) so again your opening your buffer zone up. Just keep in mind you have to ramp into both - can't just max things out...

Then something else to keep in mind - this is all if the KR is more or less false - todays gas is garbage, so could partially be real knock your seeing.
    Thank you for the guidance. This definitely gives me a starting point.

Mostly seeing KR in low RPM, high load situations when the bypass valve shuts and the PD blower throws boost at the engine.

I'll review HPFP pressures and SOI in these areas and do some experimentation.

Also make sure your not in boost and still commanding stoich…

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Also make sure your not in boost and still commanding stoich…
    Excellent point, Ben.

I had to really work on PE parameters quite a bit to trigger properly & cover the increased airflow with this supercharger. Boost certainly does comes in fast and hard.

Tuner
    I used to be a big believer on n/a tuning using o2 sensors and aiming for 900 voltage at wot. It wasn't until I installed a wideband and realized my 900 voltage was actually running at 0.95-0.98 lambda at wot. Never tune with o2 sensors. Luckily I only did maybe 5-10 wot runs in winter. Imagine getting that engine hot at the track on a summer day.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone randomly get p906da codes. Plenty of fresh oil, oil pressure reads fine checked all wires. Can clear code but will come back on after reaching 2500rpm. Will either say oil pressure sensor stuck high or stuck low.