Thread: ZF Questions on Normal, Perf, and Sport

Potential Tuner

ZF Questions on Normal, Perf, and Sport

I know in some tables like Main Torque Intervention or Nominal Shift Times it's recommended that you can only adjust the normal settings. (I tried playing with Perf or Sport and it tripped multiple codes)
    Yet in other tables like Oncoming Clutch, you can adjust all 3.
    Is there a consensus on what to and not to adjust in terms of Normal, Perf, and Sport?
    In the tables where you can only do normal does it affect Sport mode?

I've been staying in normal for all the shift times so far but I have a 2019 RAM so I'm assuming I just don't have the other modes. I haven't found a time when its not shifting the way I changed / expected so far.

Potential Tuner
    On the Scat packs and SRT's the Sport/Track modes are preferable since they affect more than just the transmission.
    I tried modifying the Main Torque Intervention table for Sport as well as Normal and the car didn't like it; it popped several DTC's and would not allow me to change modes.
    So my question is kind of twofold; if I cannot modify the Sport or Perf Main Torque Intervention tables, will changes to the Normal Main Torque Intervention affect Sport or Perf Mode?

I'm not sure but why exactly are you modifying those tables? What DTCs did it throw?
    Last edited by ic3man5; 02-14-2022 at 12:39 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by YLWJKT View Post
    On the Scat packs and SRT's the Sport/Track modes are preferable since they affect more than just the transmission.
    I tried modifying the Main Torque Intervention table for Sport as well as Normal and the car didn't like it; it popped several DTC's and would not allow me to change modes.
    So my question is kind of twofold; if I cannot modify the Sport or Perf Main Torque Intervention tables, will changes to the Normal Main Torque Intervention affect Sport or Perf Mode?
    No, changing the Normal Main Torque Intervention tables will only add or remove trq in the normal or default modes. I am not sure what DTC you are getting but on my 2016 charger rt I have made changes to every table in the trans countless times with no issue. Reference a stock hellcat SHIFT GENERAL, MAX MODE CONFIG, MAX MODE COUNTER and ENABLE/ALLOWED MODES. Or in the normal tables start by removing 25% from all the negative numbers. I am assuming you know what this does and how to read the numbers. Before messing with those tables please consider the physical condition off your vehicle mainly the transmission.

Main trq intervention with shifts 1-2 stock and 2-3 25% removed.png

Potential Tuner
    I figured it out.
    Because I changed the values in the Gear Max Torque Limit Normal table from 561 to the Tuning school recommended 650 that's what caused the U402 code IF I changed anything in the Sport or Perf tables.
    Once I changed it back to 561 torque I had no more issues with the code, and I can edit the Sport and Perf tables with no issues.
    That does bring up the next question; what happens if you're making more than 561 torque?

Tuner in Training
    Dont quote me on this but the zf8hp70 is good for 700 nm which is about 516 ft lbs. So if your thinking you will produce more, I would look into upgrading some transmission parts or swapping for the hp90. Alternatively, add some trq mgmt back into the shifts. I'm pretty sure it can handle more than 516 but for how long. When I put the 650 for that table my car was stuck in 3rd. No up or downshift in auto or manual mode. No code though, odd.

Potential Tuner
    I don't have either of those tables?