Thread: L96 with an E78 ECM Electric Fan (Lets solve this thing)

Tuner in Training

L96 with an E78 ECM Electric Fan (Lets solve this thing)

I have read through a bunch of threads, and it does not seem like anyone has been able to make the E78 ECM send a signal that will turn on a relay for electric fans. You may be reading this because you have solved the problem and are my new hero, or you may be looking for the same answer. Hopefully when we are done, there will be a link to a video at the end of this thread that explains exactly how to do it.

I have a few questions/brain storming...

Has anyone been able to make the L96 with E78 ECM combo poop out a signal that will switch on a relay and run a cooling fan?

My understanding is that the signal is a PWM as opposed to a ground signal that comes out of the E38. With that...

Is there a relay that will work with the PWM signal and power a cooling fan? I was reading about a possible relay in 2001 Jeeps??

I saw a thread where someone was taking a propane leak detector and the PWM signal was creating a closed circuit that then could be used on a relay...I will try anything

I know the simple answer is to drop some cash and do a E38 swap, but I make videos about building desert race trucks on a budget. Dropping $1400 would save time, but is counter to what I usually do. Thanks Dave www.NTDRacing.com

Tuner in Training
    I was wondering if one of these could be used to receive the PWM signal and power cooling fans?

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...tm_content=All

Use a C7 Corvette (14", 600W) or Camaro (19", 900W) brushless fan. Those Siemens modules you found are problematic - high amp draw, burned connectors, random failures, and they have to be used with old-fashioned brushed motor fans. And as you found, $200, plus $ for a mating connector, plus more $$ for a fan. And then it will burn up on you at some point.

The 19" fan is 84100128 or 23455465 ($275; minor shroud differences for Camaro vs. CTS-V). 14" C7 fan is 84128344 ($210).

Mating connector for either fan is Motorcraft WPT1361.

note: do NOT use an aftermarket 'equivalent' of those part numbers, the real GM or Delco parts are SPAL units. The aftermarket replacements are typical cheap garbage. And they are not any cheaper than the real ones!

Potential Tuner
    Any luck getting this to work? I have the E78 and I've toyed with the settings for a bit to try to get them to work. I can get the fans to come on if I change the 0 state to 1, so I know the capability is there. But doing that means the fans would run all the time. The problem seems to lie with getting the programming to change the state so the fans will come on in states 1 or 2. I've tried messing with the temp settings and the percentage settings so that it would go above the % threshold to go to the next state, but it won't make the switch to the next state. If anyone has found a way to get these to work, please post some help.
    Last edited by GDiddy99; 05-14-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I thought I'd give this a bump up and follow it. I'm running a L96 with a E78 in a 1962 delivery van and I desperately need to set it up with proper radiator fan control for parades. In a pinch I temporarily had to wire up two older style brushed fans on a switch to turn them on and off. I really want to move to a brushless variable speed setup so I don't have to listen to them wide open all the time.

Hoping some of you tech savvy guys get something figured out.

Advanced Tuner
    Get the fans off a 3500 suburban. Run the wire, copy the settings in the tune and its plug n play