Thread: Torque Management Tip-In Limiting

Tuner in Training

Torque Management Tip-In Limiting

I am unsure if Tip-In limiting is needed or not. The current vehicle I am working on is an 09 2500 Silverado, and the stock file shows that Torque Limit 2 is enabled. However, on my 09 Silverado 1500, the stock file has all the Tip-Ins disabled. I have no issue turning it to disable on the 2500, but I want to know what would be the benefit/harm of doing so. All help is greatly appreciated!

I'd just leave it, I've never messed with that table on a 6L80e or 6L90e.

You can make the transmission do pretty much what you want with shift time changes, shift pressure changes, on-coming pressure presets and torque converter adjustments. Plus if you turn on the power enrichment stuff it will make that truck way better to drive.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! I assume that the same concept would apply if it's going to be suited for primarily towing? Just leave it and make the rest of the changes with the other setting? Also, do I leave power enrichment off for towing??

Yes. Do the other changes to the transmission to make it do what you want. 6L90e trucks are known for torque converter failures and overall being kinda lazy but they built them that way for commercial use.

Slightly quicker shift speeds, a little more shift pressure and preset changes will make for a smoother shifting transmission. I disable the torque converter in gears 1-3 at a minimum and gears 1-4 in the lighter 1500 trucks. Then I change the shift mph so it can not enter 5th gear until 40-45mph and 6th gear until atleast 50mph. The half ton trucks would enter 6th gear by 40mph and it would just lug the engine.

Power enrichment shouldn't be shut off. Just have the PE enable thresholds a tad higher so it's not dipping in and out of PE all the time while cruising on the freeway. Like 65-70% throttle, 1,500rpm delay, raise the MAP enable to 80-85kpa. I'm just going off memory from what those tunes look like.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    You're awesome! Thank you for the help!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    6L90e trucks are known for torque converter failures
    @5FDP and company, I wanted to discuss this a bit more. I watch alot of Precision Transmission tear downs on You Tube. Almost every 6Lxx failure is a torque converter failure as the root cause which then goes on to trash the pump and put crap everywhere throughout the box and valve body.

Over in Australia, we have (had) the HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) vehicle range dating from 2013 - 2017 that were factory fitted with an LSA and 6L90. Now, the torque converter on the Aussie spec'd 6L90 is a 6 bolt woven carbon dual clutch converter. It has the same part number as the 2014 Camaro ZL1 LSA converter. I struggle to even remember even one public report of failure over here and a lot of guys are sending these 4400lb chunks of Aussie steel down the strip on radials at high 9's to low 10's still running it locked up at WOT with bone stock 6L90 internals and just basic trans tunes. All the Precision Transmission videos I see of the US truck 6L90's that fail have the 3 bolt converter?

I'd like to know if it is just the 3 bolt converters that seem to fail or is the 6 bolts letting go as well?

It's mainly just the truck torque converters. Both the 6L80e and 6L90e have the problem in the V8 trucks. I believe the V6 trucks used a different torque converter with a much lower failure rate but it wouldn't work behind the V8 engine.

The earlier Pontiac G8's also had lots of problems with slipping and some torque converter problems but I don't often hear about cars like the Camaro having the same problems. I don't check in on those forums as much to read about what they are seeing. The trucks are biggest problems here.

A new OEM converter or a better aftermarket converter along with some tuning can make them last a long long time.