Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old fart, First tune https://forum.hptuners.com/images/icons/icon7.png

Tuner in Training
    I'm new to tuning and actually have a thread going now asking for help haha. But one thing I did Notice from the original attachment of your tune file was that under engine diagnostics>DTC you did not disable the DOD error codes. P3400, P3401, P3425, P3411, P3449 on these codes the SES enable box should be unchecked and be set to No error reporting. Not sure how much of a difference this will make if any, but from everyone I've talked to when you delete AFM/DOD mechanically in the engine you have to disable DOD in the tune (like you did) and also disable those specific DTC codes.

Quote Originally Posted by patfish111 View Post
    I'm new to tuning and actually have a thread going now asking for help haha. But one thing I did Notice from the original attachment of your tune file was that under engine diagnostics>DTC you did not disable the DOD error codes. P3400, P3401, P3425, P3411, P3449 on these codes the SES enable box should be unchecked and be set to No error reporting. Not sure how much of a difference this will make if any, but from everyone I've talked to when you delete AFM/DOD mechanically in the engine you have to disable DOD in the tune (like you did) and also disable those specific DTC codes.
    Thanks, I just went and looked at those codes but they are for cylinder deactivation. Is that correct?
    Also I do not see a P3411. Did you mean P3441?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
    Thanks, I just went and looked at those codes but they are for cylinder deactivation. Is that correct?
    Also I do not see a P3411. Did you mean P3441?
    Yes I did mean P3441, sorry for the typo. Ya, the cylinder deactivation is the Active fuel management and displacement on demand where it shuts those specific cylinders down to run in V4. When you remove the AFM/DOD components from the engine (Change out the lifters, lifter treys..etc ) you also need to turn those DTC codes to no error reporting and uncheck the ses light so the ECM isn't running tests to make sure the system is operational or not. From the info I've been able to find on these threads pertaining to AFM/DOD, the terms DELETE and DISABLE are not interchangeable. Like you, I did a full delete of those components from my engine and also had to turn those codes off as well as disable the master function(which you did). When guys leave the AFM/DOD components in the engine a simple disable of the master function will suffice to turn of the AFM/DOD.

So for the reason why you have to shut those codes off is because if the AFM/DOD components are no longer in the engine and the ECM runs a diagnostic check it will store error codes relating to the AFM/DOD and those codes will be labeled (permanent). The only way to get rid of permanent codes is to reinstall the components, go through the drive cycles and then remove them again. Depending on your state permanent codes could stop you from passing a state inspection if you live in a state that cares about that stuff.
    sorry long winded response probably wasn't necessary to type a thousand words for a yes or no question haha but thats what helped me the most and same holds true for deleting different sensors or swapping a vvt cam to a non vvt cam, whatever you take out of the engine you also have to take out of the DTC list.
    I have some permanent codes stored that I won't be able to get rid of on my LS swap and If I move somewhere that requires an emissions test Ill get rejected

Tuner in Training
    yes that is the correct knock table. i see you added 5 deg good. the vve table, you go to edit on top left of screen. below that is the virtual torque table . this is where you add 100ftlb of torque. go to goat roap garage they have a good utube on it. i have to go but i will be back later

Tuner in Training
    Go to external inputs, serial, aem, eq ratio. I am using the same thing. works for me.

Tuner in Training
    you are running maff only tune. am I wright

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Getch View Post
    add at least 5 deg to your max knock retard table from 500 to 2500 rpm. your vve table looks rough and your maf scale is not smooth. you need more tuning. It takes a while you will get there.
    I see now that there are two ways to take out timing in order to prevent detonation. Can someone please help me to understand this?

Method 1: Take timing out by inputting higher values in the right places in the Max. Knock Retard vs. RPM vs. MAP table (12783).

Method 2: Take timing out by inputting lower values in the right places in the High Octane table (12600).

By using Method 1, aren't we setting up conditions for the timing to be frequently jumping back and forth between "normal" timing and "normal minus 5 degrees"?

Isn't Method 2 preferable, since the timing would be more stable?

Could someone help me to understand, why not use Method 1?

This is not to criticize, it is to help myself and others learn.

Thank you for any help.