Thread: RPM drop from idle to drive/reverse

Tuner in Training

RPM drop from idle to drive/reverse

I installed a Trick Flow 3062003 cam into this LY6 block. I got the idle in range enough to do initial "break-in", and do some driving around in it. I tuned the MAF up to 4000RPM and its about 3% rich across the board. I swapped everything over into SD only, and the truck instantly went to over 20% rich. I multiplied the 400-1600 columns on the VVE by 20%, and it still read very rich. I multiplied it by 20% again, and then it was around 5% rich at idle. I multiplied all the way out to 1600 since it was logging rich in the 1000 RPM section, so I just decided to take out fueling across the entire zone.

After getting the truck to a workable idle AFR range, I put the truck into reverse and the rpms dropped to around 450 and killed the truck. Tried the same process by putting it into drive, and the truck stayed alive, but still hunted around 500 RPM. I noticed that the Idle adapt advance was pulling out around 11 degrees of timing. I am still trying to understand how some of this stuff works, I.E. what causes what to happen. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Below is the last log and the current Speed Density Tune

2009 Chevy 2500HD TFS-30602003 Cam Idle.hpl
    SD Step 3.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod.v View Post
    I installed a Trick Flow 3062003 cam into this LY6 block. I got the idle in range enough to do initial "break-in", and do some driving around in it. I tuned the MAF up to 4000RPM and its about 3% rich across the board. I swapped everything over into SD only, and the truck instantly went to over 20% rich. I multiplied the 400-1600 columns on the VVE by 20%, and it still read very rich. I multiplied it by 20% again, and then it was around 5% rich at idle. I multiplied all the way out to 1600 since it was logging rich in the 1000 RPM section, so I just decided to take out fueling across the entire zone.

After getting the truck to a workable idle AFR range, I put the truck into reverse and the rpms dropped to around 450 and killed the truck. Tried the same process by putting it into drive, and the truck stayed alive, but still hunted around 500 RPM. I noticed that the Idle adapt advance was pulling out around 11 degrees of timing. I am still trying to understand how some of this stuff works, I.E. what causes what to happen. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Below is the last log and the current Speed Density Tune

2009 Chevy 2500HD TFS-30602003 Cam Idle.hpl
    SD Step 3.hpt
    Increase the TB Max Fail Effective Area to a larger number. Around 200 should work fine.
    hptunersidle2.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the quick reply! I will make that change, but can you explain what that will fix please

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod.v View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I will make that change, but can you explain what that will fix please
    It'll open the range for the TB blade opening when in SD mode.

Tuner in Training
    I wasn't able to check the editor out at that moment, but I was able to change it out and read what it applied to. Thanks for the info though! I'll give an update on the truck later this afternoon when I can get back to messing with it