Thread: Are these torque logs accurate?

Tuner in Training

Are these torque logs accurate?

I know HP Tuners is fairly close when it comes to logging torque, but how close? I feel like these numbers shouldn't be this high. The truck is an 09 2500 HD with the LY6. Added a Sloppy Stage 2 Truck Cam 228/230 .585/.585 112 LSA. Put in new plugs and wires, but everything else is stock. No aftermarket exhaust or intake.

Scanner shows over 500 lb ft torque at 1800 rpm, and steadily climbs up to 3800 rpm. I am fairly certain I have all the correct PIDs and parameters set. Let me know what y'all think about it. I had to cut the log file down in half to fit for the upload, but it still hit 565 lb ft torque at 3800 rpm on this log

SD Open Loop Step 05.hpt
    2009 Chevy 2500HD LY6 Speed Density Log 3.hpl

Delivered Torque is a calculation based on what you have put in the airflow model, not a measurement based on a sensor. So if your wideband (or your math) is funky your airflow will be funky and that makes the TQ PID funky. I would put it back in closed loop and see how far off it is, because those numbers from a stock LY6 with a cam are definitely not anything close to reality.

Tuner in Training
    I just installed that AEM wideband after the cam swap. I did a free air calc on it too. It should be reading correctly, but I'll check the logs in CL tomorrow. I definitely did not think that the log was right though. How can I check to make sure my wideband isn't giving me funky readings? I need to make sure that it isn't going to throw off my SD reading as well

Like I said, I would put it back in closed loop with the narrowbands controlling fuel and see if the trims agree with the changes you have made so far.

How are you using your WB data? In relatively steady state I see it commanding ~1.00 but WB says ~1.12. Your VVE looks way jacked up to me, compared to a stock file, which I think is the cause of the fake torque numbers.

Tuner in Training
    Before logging anything, I modified the VVE zones. In doing so, it recalculated all the coefficients. Now I have been in the process of getting the VVE dialed in. I know that the current log shows lean conditions throughout the graph, but I'm only on my 3rd run of getting it dialed in. I have been logging SD EQ Err, then multiplying by half to VVE. I hope this is the correct way of doing this

Senior Tuner
    Not sure if you did this, ignore if you did. Changing zone boundaries really screws up a VE table. To get around that; copy the VE table first. Then change the boundaries. After paste the VE table back in, re-calc, then hand smooth to get it nice again. Will only need minor tweaks after that.

Tuner in Training
    I definitely did not do that ... I am assuming that it would be best to just start back at square one, and then go from there? What is the best way to properly learn all this stuff, besides taking a class. I would really like to learn and understand this stuff better than what youtube can teach me

Tuner in Training
    I swapped back over to Closed Loop, fixed the VE tables, and took her for a spin. I got the LTFTs within (+/- 1) of 1 lambda. The torque logs basically match up from everything under .76 grams of cyl airmass to a T. I am not certain as to how I was able to achieve 1 gram of cyl airmass on the first log, but only .76 grams in closed loop tuning.

With that being said, was everything a theoretical torque calculation when the truck started logging over .84 grams of cyl airmass on the first log posted? If I was able to achieve over .84 grams, would the torque continue to match up from the Closed Loop log as it did while in Open Loop?

What would cause (allow) the truck to achieve over .84 grams of cyl airmass in the first log?

I am not expecting to have over 500 lb ft of torque at 2000 rpm. I am just trying to understand what factors could skew the data to show over 500 lf bt of torque. And if those same factors are skewing the data in Open Loop, then why do the numbers match up in the ranges while being in Closed Loop.

Closed Loop Log 3.hpl

It hit .84g/s because that's how much air you told it the engine would use. The MAF and VE/VVE are airflow tables, not fuel tables. It only knows how much fuel to add based on what it thinks the amount of airflow is, and you're the one editing the airflow tables. In open loop it doesn't have any way to know that you've given it fake/bad data, it can only do the math to calculate fueling based on what it's been told.