Thread: Tune help needed!!

Tuner in Training

Tune help needed!!

I am inexperienced with tuning. I'm just trying to get the car running so I can take it somewhere so that it can be properly tuned. Here is the background:

The car is a 2002 Corvette, M6, 3.91 gears, LS3-based 416 (24x), ported 821 heads, 11:1 CR, ECS NOVI 2200, 227/243/.615/.620 @ 114+4, NW102mm, FAST 102 LSXR intake, 95lb/hr injectors (@ 43.5psi), 2" LT headers.

Car came to me as a NA 416 with a spun main bearing (13:1 CR, 63lb/hr inj, LS3 card style MAF, 249/257/.620/.630 @ 112, and a custom tune). I did a complete rebuild with a new rotating assembly, machine work, etc. Part of the rebuild included the addition of the ECS supercharger, larger injectors, OD balancer, 3.6 pulley, 3 bar MAP sensor, twin 525lph fuel pumps (return style), and an oil cooler.

Once all the mechanical work was complete, I applied the 3 BAR SD OS patch from HP Tuners, updated the injector data and MAP data.

The car will start up within just a couple of cranking revolutions, but will not stay running. Tune file, log, and channel config are attached.

If I break the intake tract between the intercooler and TB, the car will stay running for a longer period of time, but it is not a 'good' running condition. No matter which configuration the intake tract is in, the WB goes from overly rich at startup to excessively lean when trying to find idle.

The VE table is not correct. I used the base tune file values from 0 to 105KPA as a start, and extrapolated from there.

Any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2002 C5 Corvette_416 - 3Bar.hpt
    Log file 20Feb2022.hpl
    C5 Corvette Config.Channels.xml

2012 Camaro SS/RS, LS3, m6, Whipple 2.9L, custom cam, E85, methanol
    2007 Avalanche, 5.3L "383", 2.3L Whipple, E85, custom cam

Senior Tuner
    It's running way too lean at idle. You need to increase the VE table values considerably in the low rpm/idle area...probably start by adding 25-30% at idle.

You also need to take a lot of timing out under a load. It's not going to like that timing table with your current combo.

If you want help, I can build you a proper calibration file for it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    It's running way too lean at idle. You need to increase the VE table values considerably in the low rpm/idle area...probably start by adding 25-30% at idle.

You also need to take a lot of timing out under a load. It's not going to like that timing table with your current combo.

If you want help, I can build you a proper calibration file for it.
    I'll take any and all help you're offering. Feel free to shoot me a PM regarding a calibration file.

As for the other points you mentioned, agreed that it was running way to lean, so I appreciate the tip. The timing table is left over from the NA tune, so I know it needs to be addressed as well.

2012 Camaro SS/RS, LS3, m6, Whipple 2.9L, custom cam, E85, methanol
    2007 Avalanche, 5.3L "383", 2.3L Whipple, E85, custom cam