Thread: 01 7.3 powerstroke tuning. possible ,or no?

01 7.3 powerstroke tuning. possible ,or no?

SO, is this a rabbit hole like the 99-04 mustang? or can it be done yet? ive pulled the file, and ive ran some scans. other than killing the engine on initial scan , it seems to work so far. but is it tunable and worth doing? id like to hear from people that know and have done it and knew what they were doing,cause im very green to the diesel area. i have the feeling its gonna be like throwing 100 bucks out the window and doing 100 hours community service. doesnt appear to be many channels to log, but im not up in the know on diesels yet to really make that call.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a 2000. Even after using ford dealer tools to flash the VIN into the pcm scanning is not working 100%. Kills the truck as you said but sometimes will magically log a bunch of pids or just rpm, if the battery does not die first. Your best best is to use FORScan to log and use either their built in log viewer or import FORscan logs into Megalogviewer. I have not flashed anything to my truck yet as I am still looking to see if I have all the parameters correctly displayed in HPT for my OS. According to support, read/write is supported and I had no problems reading the truck. I will say you should flash the VIN into your PCM first, I do not think you can license the file unless you have a real VIN saved in the calibration.

i didnt see any problems vin wise. i just didnt want to license it and then find i cant even do half of what i need to do.

Advanced Tuner
    There is other software by PHP that has more stuff than hpt does for my 2000. You might to check that first but it is not free. At least with hpt you can read the file and explore before you decide to license it.

Tuner in Training
    ive sucessfully tuned a 98 f250 7.3 with a 40 hp tune with some trans tweeks if anyone would be interested in it just pm me.
    01 dodge dakota 5.9 swapped nv3500, ported stock heads, m1 intake, 220 220 custom grind comp cams, 10.3:1 compression tuned by me with hp tuners.

15 jeep jk 3.6 lifted on 33s 87 octane custom tune by me with hp tuners

04 dodge dakota 4.7 air ram heads, 08 cams, 08 intake manifold, 10.5:1 compression, 341whp custom tuned by me with hp tuners.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ive sucessfully tuned a 98 f250 7.3 with a 40 hp tune with some trans tweeks if anyone would be interested in it just pm me.
    I?m interested do you have a ig or something

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Curious how you accomplished a '98 tune with HPT as it is not a supported platform, technically. Can you post the '98 tune for comparison? I'd be interested in comparing to my '00 file which I think is missing a lot compared to the sample file HPT has posted on this forum.

Banned
    do you have a stock readout??

Tuner in Training

98 powerstroke 7.3 tow tune.

98 powerstroke super duty tow tune.hpt

sorry it took me so long to post this at first wasnt sure how to post the file, then honestly forgot about it after getting busy with work.
    01 dodge dakota 5.9 swapped nv3500, ported stock heads, m1 intake, 220 220 custom grind comp cams, 10.3:1 compression tuned by me with hp tuners.

15 jeep jk 3.6 lifted on 33s 87 octane custom tune by me with hp tuners

04 dodge dakota 4.7 air ram heads, 08 cams, 08 intake manifold, 10.5:1 compression, 341whp custom tuned by me with hp tuners.