Thread: Adding boost to m278 s550 need help

Tuner in Training

Adding boost to m278 s550 need help

Upped boost pressure to 261 kPa still don?t feel a difference

Advanced Tuner
    I'm working on similar. Apparently setting the max boost only raises the limit of the overboost shutdown/check eng light. Which I can tell you will turn boost off altogether until you restart it.
    I would draw the line at 250 because the intercooler and intake manifold are weak. Not sure what they can handle but until I know, that's as far as I'll go.

There is no way I can see to simply tell it to make xx boost, you have to tell it to make more power and it makes more boost to do that. So you have to make changes and see what happens. And note it can overboost beyond it's limits because the turbos can make boost faster than the system can shut it down. So be wary of how much of a change you make.

I'd share my current settings with you but mine are excessive in order to compensate for some weird issue I have. Plus I'm still learning what everything does, and from what I can gather, nobody really knows how it all works.
    So the attached file is more gentle and imo more what you want, but my opinion counts for nadda because I'm a noob. So I would only use it to compare with yours so you can see the stuff I changed, then you can see what needs to be modded and what direction to go. It's named E63 because I have two ECU's, one came from an E63. It's programmed for my 2016 E550. Not sure your year but probably close enough.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    I'm working on similar. Apparently setting the max boost only raises the limit of the overboost shutdown/check eng light. Which I can tell you will turn boost off altogether until you restart it.
    I would draw the line at 250 because the intercooler and intake manifold are weak. Not sure what they can handle but until I know, that's as far as I'll go.

There is no way I can see to simply tell it to make xx boost, you have to tell it to make more power and it makes more boost to do that. So you have to make changes and see what happens. And note it can overboost beyond it's limits because the turbos can make boost faster than the system can shut it down. So be wary of how much of a change you make.

I'd share my current settings with you but mine are excessive in order to compensate for some weird issue I have. Plus I'm still learning what everything does, and from what I can gather, nobody really knows how it all works.
    So the attached file is more gentle and imo more what you want, but my opinion counts for nadda because I'm a noob. So I would only use it to compare with yours so you can see the stuff I changed, then you can see what needs to be modded and what direction to go. It's named E63 because I have two ECU's, one came from an E63. It's programmed for my 2016 E550. Not sure your year but probably close enough.
    Thanks i appreciate the help I?ll take a look at it

Advanced Tuner
    Remember me saying I was a noob, well that file has some things you shouldn't do, or maybe just not do so much? So here's one that fellow member outlaw_50 helped me fix, because I was going into limp mode and couldn't figure out what I did wrong. After the assistance I made some misc changes again and have put a few hundred miles on it and no limp mode.
    So I'd toss the other file and look at this one.
    And again, my car has an issue that is lowering power so my values are probably too high in order to compensate. So again, just reference it to see the changes.

Not sure if you've tinkered with you Scanner program yet, but you can set it to read boost only above ambient, which is how I like it and super nice when you're looking to bump boost, and not go too far. You have to use a calculation to get that. So I have it reading the manifold pressure in PSIA, starting at absolute zero, then a second gauge reading boost in PSIG, starting at at ambient pressure.
    Also horsepower (also calculated) and a bunch of stuff like knock sensor noise, knock retard, Lambda A/F ratio etc. So if you haven't done calculated stuff you can google or I can even post my copies.
    I think the knock sensor stuff is extra important on this engine
    Oh, and duty cycle for the turbo solenoid can be recorded, which was super helpful for me. I also adjusted that on mine (I undid that on copy I gave you) so it holds the wastegates closed most of the time and doesn't open them more than needed. Because this eng opens them so much that it not only hurts throttle response, but wears on the turbo hinge and some people have to replace them at an est >$5000. Or maybe that was just the turbos and add labor to that. Either way, count me out and I want minimal wastegate movement. Fyi I simply changed the duty cycle, which was 10-90, now I'm 50-90 and may go to 55 or 60 later. But note that 50 may raise boost because I think the oem boost level opens it more than that?

Also note; the intercooler can't handle too much boost and same with the intake, which is plastic. How much is too much I can't say, but I'm trying not to go past 22 on the spikes. I want 18 but it spikes up way past that just a moment and I just don't know if that's hurting it or not. I figure the intercooler will go first but who knows. And when the intercooler goes it dumps water into the intake, which in most cases is probably not a big deal, but if done just right or leaks while the eng is off, you can kiss the eng goodbye. So fyi in case you didn't know about that detail.

E63 modified outlaw (2 Mar '22).hpt

Tuner in Training
    I?ve been trying to mess around with it, only things I?ve been doing so far is tq limits. The car doesn?t really seem to pull top end that much. It jumps out then kinda falls on its face after 80mph

Advanced Tuner
    You mean before, oem, or after you messed with it? Mine pulled just fine past 80 when oem. Watching the needle it didn't slow much at all as it past 70, 80, 90, 100.
    Maybe you're like me and you have some issue. Did you record data with the Scanner program yet? If so, post it and lemme see a good solid floor it session.