Thread: L83/6L80 Compatibility?

Tuner in Training

L83/6L80 Compatibility?

Huge amounts of info on this site!! Absolutely mind boggling. I'm sure it will get better the more I read/research on it.

Currently I have a 2014 L83 that will be getting a freshening up and the DOD/AFM delete with a new cam. The 6L80 is from a 2008 Pontiac G8. It will also be getting a freshening up. I have been told that the trans can be reprogrammed/flashed to work with the L83 engine. Is this possible without changing the trans module?

Is there a preferred ECU/trans module combo to get to make things easier for them to work together? Or should I just get an ECU for the L83 and run with it? I am planning on doing this tune myself with HPT.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Advanced Tuner
    You may already know the GenV engines have a HPFP on the center back of the block which caused relocation to one of the bell housing bolts compared to previous Generations. If you are freshening up the trans then maybe changing the bell housing is not a big deal, I honestly do not know there.

It may come out cost effective to sell those two and get a complete pull out from a truck with ECM and all. My knowledge is pretty limited in this area though on what works together and TCM programming. What are you putting this setup in?
    Last edited by Dominatorstang; 03-03-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Building an XR311 replica/copy.xr311_1sm.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Oh nice, looks fun.