Thread: 04 ram read errors

Potential Tuner

04 ram read errors

Ok I suck at the search or just it?s not there to search, I am buttoning up my Tj hemi swap for the second time. I have been driving it fine with just the manual but for the eldest kid to drive it i had to put the auto in it. So here is my problem when I go to read the PCM it says ignition cycle times out. But I can read all live data. I can get the trouble codes as well. It will just not read the PCM or TCM. Has anyone else had this issue. Funny thing is if I use a friends snap on scanner I cannot read engine codes with it but it will read the tcm. any help would be great. I have 2 OBD ports one under dash the other under the hood. I just installed the second one in case I crossed a wire but was not the case. It is an 2004 dodge 5.7 hemi with a 45rfe or 545 rfe. Stuffed into a TJ

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try reading via bench harness to rule out a vehicle wiring issue of some sort...19 year old vehicles are prone to have wiring, battery & other issues that just pop up due to age.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Ok then I will have to make a bench harness. My second obd plug is wiried in next to the computer witching like 8 to 10 inch of the connector and still works the same as under the dash one.

Potential Tuner
    Well got it to read the pcm think I may have a bad ignition switch. Been chasing a problem with my multi switch aka turn signals. Flasher relay is buzzing been tring to figure out where the power is being fend from because the signals work with the key on or off extremely wierd. Even after I replaced the switch. Anyhow damn gremlins to chase. So while I had the column apart instead of cycling the key I unplugged the ignition switch counted to 5 and plugged it back in then bag it read it so i even read it twice for shits and giggles so now i just need to make sure i have enough credits to write lol. My last question thou is how do you know if it read the tcm. I cycled the key in the same way clicked ok but it blinked thru that pretty quick to the save file function

lot of people have issues reading the 04/05 Ram TCM side....My 04 took 6 tries before it finally read.......you'll know it read it when you open the tune file click on trans and the info is there, when we did my daughters 04 ram the screen side the TCM was read but when we opened the file in Hp there was no info there.

Potential Tuner
    I have same issue but if i hook up battery charge nevers has an issue.