Thread: 5.9 jtec

Tuner in Training

5.9 jtec

Trying to find any information about tuning a JTEC computer is like trying to find hay in a needle stack. I had a local shop dyno tune my 5.9 magnum. I'm not real happy with the tune. I had them send me the tune and I opened it up with HP TUNERS. One of the things I noticed is under "oxygen sensors" it shows "Closed loop disable", high RPM hi 3808rpm and high rpm low 96rpm. Why would it be tuned to disable closed loop at 3800 rpm's? it also shows O2 heater disabled. why would the O2 heater be disabled? I also see under main spark EGR OFF at wide open throttle at higher rpm's is pulling timing, it shows 40 degrees at lower rpm but 26@4800. Im an old carb and distributer guy, but want to learn computer tuning, but we would have full spark advance at like 2500 rpm's and it would stay throughout higher rpm's.
    This is a new engine with Edelbrock heads, small custom ground hydraulic roller cam (218/[email protected] 525/525 112 lobe center) 9.6:1 compression with less than .040 quench(I can't remember exact dimension) stock intake and throttle body 2.5 dual exhaust. I'm not looking for max hp, but drivability. Dyno shop had it at 236hp 310 torque at the wheels. Thats good for 5.9 in a Jeep Wrangler
    I bought an AEM fuel air gauge to meter fuel that I have to install, and a friend has a MPVI2. Where is good information on learning to tune? There's next to nothing on JTEC, but maybe start with the basics that apply to all tuning. Any steering in the right direction would be great. Sorry for rambling.

Tuner
    that is normal closed loop values on this engine, i seen similar values for the jeep 4.0, at those rpm you don't want the 02 sensor trying to control the fuel to stoich