Thread: email tuning vs dyno trip, worth it?

Tuner

email tuning vs dyno trip, worth it?

Went through a company logging and emailing tunes back and forth. It ran, ok... Not super crisp like I would imagine it to, but its a street driven big block with only a mild cam upgrade and the 4 hole injector upgrade. I am just curious if i'm getting the shaft spending money when its not needed..... Is it worth it?
    3 tunes. force engineering is the dyno tune.
    email tune 5th is the tune before it went to the dyno.
    then the tune I sent to the guy for email tuning is LT's compared file, everything copied.

ANY input would be awesome
    force engineering tune.hpt
    1999 Suburban 2500 7.4 MM Email Tune Kyle Ford 5th.hpt
    LT's compare air,fuel,spark, everything copied! start up fuel and tune comparing.hpt

It all boils down to who tunes it… that’s the most Important part..

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Dyno Tuning in my area I expect to drop around 1K. For a NA build I would think it would be 1 and done deal. From there if your noticing small issues you could do the direct email tuning with the same guy that originally tuned it. There’s big benefits to letting a shop get there hands on your combo for a few hours. Given tuners that do this stuff all day, everyday should be able to get your build going in the right direction and running better than average. Make sure the tuner is familiar with the parts you’re using first and then schedule a date. Get the tune out of the way and start enjoying your creation. We all build combos because we want to enjoy them. Not spend hours/ days/weeks trying to make them run correctly.

Senior Tuner
    I say it depends on the tuner. I think the owner gets a better result if we work back and forth on a few logs before it shows up. It's not required but I do think there is a better result.

You can send me hours and hours of logs. If I get the vehicle and start from scratch I have whatever time 2-3 days allows me to put on it. Very rarely do we have them pick up much over a well gone over email tune. At that its a point of finding out the engine likes a little less timing or a AFR richer or leaner than you'd guess without seeing the output on the dyno.

I also diagnose so many issues (like mechanical/sensor etc) via email tuning that would have saved the owner a trip and appointment slot.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    I got it dyno'd. It drives the best it has so far. I upgraded the injectors to a slightly bigger size. I think I'm dealing with a injector pulse width issue. I think it cruise speed and idle its dumping too much fuel. I am researching injector data everywhere but I can't find the smallest pulse width to make the injector fire.... They are the bosch 23lb/hr 4 hole injector. Better than the 19lb/hr single hole from factory. The gas mileage is suffering almost in half and I didn't make that big of a jump in injectors to make it that bad. I was getting 12-13 now i'm 7-9 mpg. The dyno person did not give any help in that area. He basically tuned the MAF and some shift points... I'm happy yet not happy. I wanted to trim the injector pulses down to see where it fumbles and loses power and tune it after dialing the injectors in. BUT, he didn't understand apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by 99k2500 View Post
    I got it dyno'd. It drives the best it has so far. I upgraded the injectors to a slightly bigger size. I think I'm dealing with a injector pulse width issue. I think it cruise speed and idle its dumping too much fuel. I am researching injector data everywhere but I can't find the smallest pulse width to make the injector fire.... They are the bosch 23lb/hr 4 hole injector. Better than the 19lb/hr single hole from factory. The gas mileage is suffering almost in half and I didn't make that big of a jump in injectors to make it that bad. I was getting 12-13 now i'm 7-9 mpg. The dyno person did not give any help in that area. He basically tuned the MAF and some shift points... I'm happy yet not happy. I wanted to trim the injector pulses down to see where it fumbles and loses power and tune it after dialing the injectors in. BUT, he didn't understand apparently.....
    What all have you done to the engine? If the mods are minimal then you might be fine with the stock injectors. You already have the data for them and from what you’re saying the new injectors are running fairly rich.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99k2500 View Post
    Upload a datalog when you can.

Tuner
    The motor got a new factory crank, it was bored .030 for the replacement cylinders, has a mild cam upgrade from comp cam. No cats and 3 inch all the way back. I originally got these as everyone said the bosch 4 hole was a huge upgrade to the single hole and I was having a #4 cylinder misfire. I ended up with a new distributor, plugs, wires, and injectors. That didn't solve it. The 0411 PCM swap made it more pronounced misfire. The VE table is a guestimate since there really wasn't a 454 0411 pcm. Got it pretty dialed in. Just filled up the truck getting 10.5mpg with some full throttle pulls and romping around. So... it isn't bad. I am a volunteer first responder in my area and I use this as the response truck.... So it has a hard life hahaha I will get a datalog when I get back to the computer that is used for tuning.

Tuner

Senior Tuner
    The fuel trims actually look pretty good in that datalog. You'll be hard pressed to get the fuel dialed in much better.