Thread: MK7 Golf R - retune advice needed

Potential Tuner

MK7 Golf R - retune advice needed

Hello All

I have a 2017 MK7 Golf R which I am currently trying to retune using HP Tuners. After a bit of research and quite a few goes at retuning my ECU I have not been able to achieve any significant results in increasing the torque of my car. I have been fairly conservative in my approach to modifying the ECU as I slowly learn the details of the various ECU parameters and their affect on the car, but would have expected some gains with the modifications I have made.

I have attached copies of my latest and my original tune files as well as launch logs of both tunes. I have managed to slightly increase peak MAP with my latest tune from about 230 to 260 kPa (apologies for the use of metric units), but calculated torque is lower than the standard tune and 0 - 100 times remain about the same.

I'm obviously very new to this so was hoping that there was someone out there who could point me in the right direction with my tune?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I made several changes to the file to highlight things that should be changed or reverted back to stock value. This is an OS I've not worked with much, so there could very well be other things to look into. I didn't spent a bunch of time setting up all the tables, but just maxed out ones that you can safely get out of the way and edited a few others to highlight them as ones you may want to tweak.

Get another baseline datalog.... get a good 3rd gear pull from 2500ish to redline, this will give you a lot more useful data than launch control or thru the gears.

Log list looks OK, but these log very slow, I would try to remove all that you don't really need or want. I posted a loglist at some point in time that should be a good baseline.

Decide how you want to target boost. By that I mean do you want to set a max torque target and the ECU try to hit that all day long. Another way to go about it is request more torque than you really want, and then limit TIP desired via max PR or other tables. Eventually you'd want to layer in these tables/techniques, but when you're trying to figure out what's going on with the car and tune it right now, you want to be well aware what table/limiter is setting the TIP desired target. I would guess your current file is limited by max PR table, but how do we know for sure? line of thinking.

I think the value you edited in the VE table section messed up a lot of your VE/Torque/fueling calcs, so revert that back to stock first and get a good baseline pull and we can go from there.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Aaron,

I changed the VE Maximum MAP value back to default (200) as per TylerJDubbs advice. MAP, Torque and Knock retard have all pretty much returned to stock values. I have also made some changes to the power enrichment table and am getting lower Lambda at high loads (maybe still a bit high though). I will look at your suggestions and makes some more changes to my file.

I have been targeting increased torque through many of the driver demand and max torque settings, but none of these seem to increase power or TIP. One other thing I'm noticing is that my cylinder airmass never goes above 1200 mg (even when it looked like I had increased MAP). Hopefully getting rid of some of the limits you have suggested will help me out here.

I'll let you know how I go with the changes I make.

Potential Tuner
    Here is my latest tune file and a couple of logs. Still no gains. indicated torque seems to be slightly higher but if anything the car feels a little slower. MAP and airmass still caping out at stock levels. Unfortunately I'm back off to work for a couple of weeks so real world testing will have to wait. Hopefully a bit of research time might yield some results. Thanks to Aaronc7 and TylerJDubbs for your help.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll take a look again tonight when I'm home. There's at least 1 limiter table I saw that's missing in the definition file. There's 2 turbo speed limit values and only one is defined. You were close to that limit in the logs but not exceeding it or anything....maybe close enough that torque intervention is happening. Your torque request in the editor tables doesn't match what's in the logs, so something is limiting that torque request, so that's where we need to look first before trying other stuff.

You could probably hack around this, but I think it will be worth the effort to figure it out step by step. Didn't realize yours is a ROW car, so it's not the same OS as mine unfortunately. I do have a xdf for your file though, so I can edit any missing tables no problem as a temp workaround.

Potential Tuner
    Cheers Aaron, should have mentioned I was in Australia. Our Golfs are detuned (206 - 221 kW) compared to other models. Not sure if this means the OS is different to other ROW models as well. What would you suggest for the step by step approach? Do you ultimately think an OS re-flash of my ECU is required? My TCU is locked as well, so maybe its worth looking at Pi-can or something similar?

Potential Tuner
    Still no luck with my 'tunes'. I have had a few goes at removing potential limiters and a few runs in between. Here are my latest tune and log files, any advice is welcome.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    I'll take a look again tonight when I'm home. There's at least 1 limiter table I saw that's missing in the definition file. There's 2 turbo speed limit values and only one is defined. You were close to that limit in the logs but not exceeding it or anything....maybe close enough that torque intervention is happening. Your torque request in the editor tables doesn't match what's in the logs, so something is limiting that torque request, so that's where we need to look first before trying other stuff.

You could probably hack around this, but I think it will be worth the effort to figure it out step by step. Didn't realize yours is a ROW car, so it's not the same OS as mine unfortunately. I do have a xdf for your file though, so I can edit any missing tables no problem as a temp workaround.

Hey guys,
    Hello aaronc7
    I see u are familiar with Simos18 tuning via hptuners
    I am trying to tune my 2019 Audi S3 with HPT
    Below you can see my stock and my tuned file

I have reaised torque limiters
    and Map limiters
    and I am requesting around 275 kpa of boost, but car is sometimes spiking or reaching slightly higher boost, and throttle is closing from 80% to 30% and power is obviously dropping

How can I tune boost based and not torque based with HPT?
    I just want to target 275 KPA and stay around this boost till redline without the interference of any torque limiter or throttle closing.