Thread: Sending Vehicle to a Tuner. What file is best for them to start with?

Sending Vehicle to a Tuner. What file is best for them to start with?

So my plan is to send my build to a tuner and let them work their magic. What would put a tuner in the best position for tuning. Stock file or my modified one?
    I know it wont run on the stock file but Im sure theres things in the stock file that probably could of been left alone until I got my hands on it. Call it trial and error tuning.

I have an 02 Silverado with a P59 3 Bar Enhancement. I'm not sure how they start their tuning process but I'm wanting in town cruise/drivability and take it to the track. Its setup for E already just not tuned with it at all. I just don't want to hand him a mess of a file.

I know theres some tuners for business in here and would like their opinions. P59 370 1650 FIC new tune stock spark table afr err correction 1.hpt

Senior Tuner
    I typically just ask for the current tune. I've got plenty of stock tunes on file. It only takes a short time using the comparison feature in order to see what has been changed from stock.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    I typically just ask for the current tune. I've got plenty of stock tunes on file. It only takes a short time using the comparison feature in order to see what has been changed from stock.
    One of the parts I’m using is the Holley 3 Bar map sensor. I’ve found 2 different settings for hp tuners and not sure which one to use. It appears to be a clone of the gm sensor but I’d assume the Holley has its own specific settings. I’ve searched on the Holley site among every other sites. Is the linear and offset settings derived from a calculation I can do or should Holley have this info?

Senior Tuner
    I honestly prefer they at least have their stock file on hand. For some vehicles it can be a real pain to find a OE calibration to find what all has been changed. Just went through this yesterday. Heavily modified truck with a poor tune from someone else and zero files on the repository to compare what has been changed. SPS'ed a stock ECM to find all kinds of non sense had been changed. Had I tried to tune it with what it came in with I might have been fighting some odd issue cause by some weird table the previous tuner decided to modify.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I honestly prefer they at least have their stock file on hand. For some vehicles it can be a real pain to find a OE calibration to find what all has been changed. Just went through this yesterday. Heavily modified truck with a poor tune from someone else and zero files on the repository to compare what has been changed. SPS'ed a stock ECM to find all kinds of non sense had been changed. Had I tried to tune it with what it came in with I might have been fighting some odd issue cause by some weird table the previous tuner decided to modify.
    Currently it has my modded tune so it will run. The original tune is one for an 02 silverado 4.8/4l60e running the 0411/po1 computer. Now has 370/4l80e with a P59 computer. The p59 and 4l80e came from the same vehicle so I didn’t need to do really anything to the trans settings. My P59 does have the 3 bar enhancement already with the flex enabled. I’m assuming if he needs stock parameters he’ll be able to find those or how would I get him what was the original for the truck if I drop the truck off with my modded tune? Also curious about there process because I’m sure I’m not the first to hand off a vehicle with basically nothing stock. My parts are 370/4l80e/p59. Fic 1650 injectors, MW 102mm TB, Turbo, Electric fans, Aero Fuel pump. Everything is wired per the manufacture specifications. And shows to be functioning properly. I guess you all just find a tune with very similar size motor or combo and start tuning?
    Last edited by jon1440; 03-09-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Each application unique. As Alvin mentioned in his post, sometimes it helps to have a stock cal file to start with. In the case he mentioned above, the tune was really jacked up to start with.

In your particular application, if you already have the injector data, MAP sensor data, segment swap for 4L80E, and proper gear ratio and tire size entered, it'll save the tuner some time. He can get to work on dialing in the VE table and spark tables as needed.