Thread: Unlicensed vehicle

Advanced Tuner

Unlicensed vehicle

Left my MPVI2 at the shop

Got car strapped to dyno, borrow MPVI2 from friend, added the MPVI2 to my computer, read file try to write and it says "unlicensed vehicle" but gives no option to license vehicle

Purchased credits, resynced cable, still no option to license
    reread PCM file no change.
    Why dont I have the option to license the vehicle?

Close the software
    Delete the file Documents/HP Tuners/Settings/License.dat
    Open the software, resync, and retry to write.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    I didn?t get to try that. But thank you. This is the third or fourth time I?ve had this issue. Now I know the fix

Advanced Tuner
    Having this same issue again. Just tried the steps you mentioned and same thing. I can select to write but it just says unlicensed vehicle. No option to license

Advanced Tuner
    Wea re having the same issue here. We had to replace the ECM in a car we have tuned before. Now we just receive the 'unlicensed vehicle' error message, with no option to license it.
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapout Tuning View Post
    Wea re having the same issue here. We had to replace the ECM in a car we have tuned before. Now we just receive the 'unlicensed vehicle' error message, with no option to license it.
    Did you READ the calibration from the new ecm? If not please do so, that is your new base file.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Did you READ the calibration from the new ecm? If not please do so, that is your new base file.
    This resolved the issue. Thanks for the quick and helpful response Bill!
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

Potential Tuner
    I have the same issue here but the /licence.dat file doesn't seem to exist. It doesn't give me any option to apply the credits.

Potential Tuner
    I'm getting same message. I've deleted the license.dat file and re-sync'd and still have the same issue. I'm using a MPVI Pro

*back story:
    I installed an ECU that I purchased that has a factory tune and my VIN programmed into the ECU. The gauges went haywire when I sync'd the ECU to the 2004 Chevy Tahoe, so I scanned the factory tune from this ECU. I reinstalled the factory ECU with the aftermarket tune and want to flash the factory tune because of California BS. I'm trying to install the factory tune from the other ECU to my factory ECU, but shows that it's unlicensed. I had originally used two credits for the factory ECU, and thought maybe I needed additional credits, so I purchased two more credits, but still unable to flash a factory tune onto the original ECU.

Please help, I've deleted the license.dat file a couple of times already with no success.

Mahaloz,
    George
    Last edited by gr86ss; 07-18-2023 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added MPVI pro as the unit i'm using

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by gr86ss View Post
    I'm getting same message. I've deleted the license.dat file and re-sync'd and still have the same issue. I'm using a MPVI Pro

*back story:
    I installed an ECU that I purchased that has a factory tune and my VIN programmed into the ECU. The gauges went haywire when I sync'd the ECU to the 2004 Chevy Tahoe, so I scanned the factory tune from this ECU. I reinstalled the factory ECU with the aftermarket tune and want to flash the factory tune because of California BS. I'm trying to install the factory tune from the other ECU to my factory ECU, but shows that it's unlicensed. I had originally used two credits for the factory ECU, and thought maybe I needed additional credits, so I purchased two more credits, but still unable to flash a factory tune onto the original ECU.

Please help, I've deleted the license.dat file a couple of times already with no success.

Mahaloz,
    George
    I'm sorry you're having troubles and we'd love to help you. Have you already opened up a support ticket? If so, do you have your ticket number so that we can review the status? If not, please open a support ticket here: https://support.hptuners.com

Potential Tuner
    Hello, sorry for hijacking the thread

I have the same issue with a Ford Focus RS, tried to write a file that I have license for, it says Unlicensed Vehicle and its not giving me any option. Erased the License.dat file, same story. I just get an unlicensed vehicle message and thats it.

Now, one more thing, I dont have any credits available on my interface. Should I still be seeing the option to license the vehicle? The option only appears if there are available credits on the interface? I want to make sure that it does before spending more money.

Thanks!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by josemiguel100 View Post
    Hello, sorry for hijacking the thread

I have the same issue with a Ford Focus RS, tried to write a file that I have license for, it says Unlicensed Vehicle and its not giving me any option. Erased the License.dat file, same story. I just get an unlicensed vehicle message and thats it.

Now, one more thing, I dont have any credits available on my interface. Should I still be seeing the option to license the vehicle? The option only appears if there are available credits on the interface? I want to make sure that it does before spending more money.

Thanks!
    lots to unpack here, sounds like you are trying to write a file you HAVE a license for to a vehicle/pcm that you DON'T have a license for, this is a bad idea and not recommended. You do so at your own risk.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    lots to unpack here, sounds like you are trying to write a file you HAVE a license for to a vehicle/pcm that you DON'T have a license for, this is a bad idea and not recommended. You do so at your own risk.
    Yup, im aware its not recommended and that it is on my own risk. Nevertheless, for some reason, im unable to license the car.

Potential Tuner
    So, that being said. Any help would be awesome

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    read the ecm as it sits, license it, tune away.

Potential Tuner
    ECU was tuned with COBB by a previous owner. I dont have access to that person or the device used to tune it. When I read it, it fails (obviously) and a partial file is generated. That partial file CAN be licensed but im not sure if that will actually license the car.

BTW, I dont have other options to go back to stock and start from there.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by josemiguel100 View Post
    ECU was tuned with COBB by a previous owner. I dont have access to that person or the device used to tune it. When I read it, it fails (obviously) and a partial file is generated. That partial file CAN be licensed but im not sure if that will actually license the car.

BTW, I dont have other options to go back to stock and start from there.
    I'm sorry you're having troubles and we'd love to help you. Have you already opened up a support ticket? If so, do you have your ticket number so that we can review the status? If not, please open a support ticket here: https://support.hptuners.com