Thread: Making power without modifying stock tune but porting/headers...etc - is it possible?

Advanced Tuner

Making power without modifying stock tune but porting/headers...etc - is it possible?

This question was posted on a forum I frequent and the consensus was no to very little power gains but the OP seems to thing significant/measurable gains can be had without altering the stock tune (I am talking NA engines here and not the 6.2). Being that we have a lot of pro tuners here who have more dyno time and have experimented I would like to hear your take on this?

https://www.challengertalk.com/posts/8788185/

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    This question was posted on a forum I frequent and the consensus was no to very little power gains but the OP seems to thing significant/measurable gains can be had without altering the stock tune (I am talking NA engines here and not the 6.2). Being that we have a lot of pro tuners here who have more dyno time and have experimented I would like to hear your take on this?

Thanks!
    If the changes do make a difference in airflow, then the more likely result is a reduction in power or torque without a tune because fueling will be lean (or rich - wrong direction!) in most areas. Could also get increased knocking / spark knock retard, reducing power further.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post

Thanks!
    I looked for that thread over on Chalngertalk, couldn't find it.

Here's my both of experiences,
    Before I retired from Comp Cams, one of the guys who was giving us feedback on Cam profiles was PurpleRam(Ric) who posted here once in a while. Back in April of 2016 me and 1 other Comp guy was at the shop he rented Chassis Dyno time at, he had a 2014 Ram RCSB 4x2 5.7 65RFE trans, on the rollers ,Now Depending on who you talk to they were good for about 320ish, stock, He showed me and Ronnie the charts from the previous day , the ram laid down a an average 319hp, after 10 pulls , they swapped a set of BGE heads that were "cleaned up" and port matched to the 5.7 truck intake, stock intake manifold and exhaust, Both Ronnie and I thought it was only make 300ish, Ric said it'll gain a few but limit the Power curve... the next day temperature and Humidity were slightly up(73vs77,43%vs46%) average of 10 pulls , it made it made 335hp peak but nosed dives over 5600 , I Know TQ was down 15ftlbs under 3500. it did have a shorter Power curve , I told him I thought it would be less because of the set parameters , he Smiled and said......since the ECU in these is Adaptive it'll boost Fuel till it hit's the programed AFR with in reason from stock it's swing 5% either way., it loses TQ from the 1.65 Vs 1.57 EX valve.
    The following week he sent me a clip of the same truck on the Chassis dyno with a set of burr ported BGE's that made 345hp but TQ was up 7 from stock, and pulled like a freight train till it hit the limiter, when I looked at the HPtuners VCM log he sent , the knock sensors were "quite" till 5k then it started to pull timing but that didn't stop the power increase.
    Next up for that truck was the 392M6 cam, a bunch of tuning by his buddy Vince, and that 5.7 laid down 425/435 and ran a best of 12.20@108 at Cecil County in MD.
    The following week the 65RFE was pulled and replaced by a worked 727.....(yes 3sp no OD) truck picked up 35hp by switching trans , that weekend the Ram went 11.89@114.

Fast forward to last year, before my son and swapped a 6.1 in my daughters Rumble bee, the 5.7 had been swapped over to the LX body timing cover, No A/c it dynoed 260 RWHP, with the 545, Swapped in 518 non Lock up trans it laid down 295hp that was our base HP ,we added a set of P5153346 heads ,Mopar's CNC 03-08 5.7 head 2.055 Intake and 1.6 Ex valves, LX intake. and shortie headers , it made 315 with stock tune and backed it up in 1/4 time of 14.10@94

Not related to your Question.....
    I wanted to see how far we could go on the stock cam, the 5.7 Hemi cam is close to the OEM 340hp cam, with a lot of tuning we managed to squeak 405/424Hp/Tq out of it on the chassis dyno , 1/4 mile times didn't back up our 405/424#s we should been able to run a 13.10-13.20@101-103mph , 13.45@98 was the best before the tone wheel made a mess in side the block
    Last edited by rays04gtx; 08-01-2022 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Missed a few letters
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

The burr port heads on the 5.7 made 340 hp not 345,

I did try this one other time, a 2015 challenge srt , that car picked 15 hp and 10ftlbs with a bolt on set of bge heads that were burr port finish. Knock sensor pulled 3 degrees out between 4500&5k rpms, next we soften the chambers on the bge heads gained 5 more hp no increase in tq.

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like the thread on CT was either moved or deleted. I will see if I can find it an repost. Yup looks like the post was deleted due to member conduct.
    Last edited by Homer; 08-09-2022 at 03:11 PM.